KRONOS QUARTET CYLINDER RECORDING

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

THEVICTROLAGUY

KRONOS QUARTET CYLINDER RECORDING

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:52 pm

after reading Steve's post about the recording at the Edison historic site i went on you tube and found the video of the entire recording. i captured the audio from the you tube video and transferred it to a brown wax cylinder running at 160 rpm. this demonstrates quite well my recording process and the possibilities of making high quality cylinder recordings from an mp3 audio file.

this is much higher quality that the acoustic cylinder recording which i have not heard, but in general there is very little resemblance between a canaphonic cylinder recording and an Edison cylinder recording. my recording process results in cylinder recordings that sound more like tape than a wax cylinder. this is still an acoustic process, both the recording and the playback. video one is playing through a 28" original witches hat horn, video two is playing through the canaphonic archivette. the cylinder is playing on an original Edison standard B cylinder phonograph circa 1903.