Sapphire and Diamond - 3D Design Videos

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

Sapphire and Diamond - 3D Design Videos

Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:47 pm

Ever want to know what the tip of a sapphire or diamond cutting stylus looks like? Here they are as 3D Designs.

Neumann 320 Style Sapphire (Exact Drawing)
DGM Diamond (Rough Drawing)
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

jjgolden

Re: Sapphire and Diamond - 3D Design Videos

Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:05 pm

I can see how precise those burnishing facet angles are at the tip of the 320.
Makes sense that if those angles are off or not symmetrical with each other, would result in the chaffing/scrapping look we see on all the styli today...
Only got 9hrs out of the last one do to excessive hiss...

I'm rooting for you Todd, lets get it fixed!
I've got a few cigar boxes of em waiting to be re-sharpened as well...

JJG

opcode66

Re: Sapphire and Diamond - 3D Design Videos

Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:30 pm

From what I've seen, the burnishing facets are either missing or are not the correct length on recent styli. I haven't tried the ones I just received. Fingers crossed!

When they are missing, the grooves look streaked. After 3 or 4 hours of cutting, you wear in your own burnishing facets... That is why they "clean up" after a few hours of initial use. But, even then, they aren't accurate facets. They are simply no longer jagged edges.

If the bottom of the groove looks clean but the walls start to look messy half way up, then you have a stylus whose burnishing facets don't extend the proper length from the tip.

With all seriousness, if someone wants to collaborate with me, I've done all the heavy lifting. I just need some backing. Anyone serious knows how to contact me. Unfortunately, those folks don't really read/collaborate on this forum.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio