Consolidated Edison: Historic Edison by THE VICTROLA GUY

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

THEVICTROLAGUY

THE ORIGINAL EDISON ADVERTISING CYLINDER 1906

Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:09 am

i picked up a box of original dark brown wax recording blanks circa 1920. these are made by the standard record company in new york. i have never seen these before. they are very dark brown and have the typical cloth liner for use on high speed cylinder shavers. unlike Edison or Columbia cylinders the swarf on this cylinder is like powder, literally, a fine brown dust. the cylinder has a bit of surface noise compared to Edison cylinders but this produced an excellent recording. this is a transfer from an mp3 file, noise reduction and eq removed most of the noise from the original recording. this is an excellent copy of the 1906 cylinder, the copy sounds better than the original file i started with. this was the original demonstration cylinder played by the dealers to demonstrate the phonograph. when this cylinder was recorded 99% of the population had never heard a phonograph.
Benjamin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivIwKXzHHCo

THEVICTROLAGUY

THOMAS EDISON VOICE RECORDING / 1906 / BROWN WAX COPY

Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:46 pm

this is one of only a handful of actual acoustic cylinder recordings of Thomas Edison, Edison never allowed himself to be recorded except for very special occasions. Edison is speaking directly into the horn of a cylinder phonograph being operated by one of his workers named Walter Miller. the original was recorded in 1906, this is a copy from an mp3 audio file. this is an extremely rare brown wax cylinder. the most popular cylinder copy we make is I AM THE EDISON PHONOGRAPH

Benjamin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cpuPR-1itFk

flozki

Re: THOMAS EDISON VOICE RECORDING / 1906 / BROWN WAX COPY

Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:46 pm

hello
what kind of electronic transducer do you use?
any pictures?

where do you get the blank cylinders?
i have ordered a few once in usa. but need some more.

my electronic recording head is not 100% finished. need to attach the original cup-blade. but never found the time...
f.

THEVICTROLAGUY

Re: THOMAS EDISON VOICE RECORDING / 1906 / BROWN WAX COPY

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:43 pm

GREETINGS,
the transducer in the new recorder is proprietary, i have been working on this for 16 months or so, constant series of experiments. as to recording blanks i have hundreds in stock, all original Edison black wax dictation cylinders that have been trimmed an shaved for use on the cylinder phonograph. they make really outstanding recordings and can be used 15 to 18 times. everything i offer is covered by warranty, you cannot find a better recording blank anywhere, and they are original Edison ....

Benjamin

THEVICTROLAGUY

EDISON 1910 SILENT MOVIE " THE STENOGRAPHERS FRIEND "

Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:49 pm

ADVERTISEMENT FOR THE EDISON BUSINESS PHONOGRAPH, 1910 SILENT MOVIE....

https://www.youtube.com/embed/q7iticaveQk?feature=player_detailpage

Steve E.
Site Admin

Consolidated Edison: Historic Edison by THE VICTROLA GUY

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:23 pm

More merges of great stuff!