Cutting Vinyl

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: Cutting Vinyl

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:34 pm

Thread scrubbed.....

I'll leave my post here up for a few days then maybe zap or move it:

If someone wants to create their own forum to air private quarrels about equipment or communication styles, be my guest. Not happening here. Mr. Cutting Vinyl and Mr. DJLithium, you are both super welcome here. But quit the fisticuffs.

This site has plenty of info about record cutting equipment. Some is generally better suited to dub cutting and some is better suited to mastering. It's fair for a client to know what they are getting into, and it is fair for them to get questions answered in a straightforward manner. It is also fair, if a potential vendor chooses not to answer them for any reason (which may be the valid reason that he doesn't feel good about the possible motivation behind the question), for the potential client to quit the conversation and go elsewhere.

This site has all kinds of cutters. There are plenty of dub cutters using something other than Scullys or Neumanns, and some of them are making their clients quite happy.

It's a matter of meeting expectations. The kind of music being mastered and the skill of the engineer are factors, as well. I just visited Mastercraft and Desmond told me he'd recently plated from a poly cut (from a forum member). I have no idea what the results were like. I'm sure if it was a lo-fi-style band, it wasn't even an issue. If I were Steely Dan or something, I'm sure it would be a bad idea.

It's always a matter of caveat emptor. Get references. Know what you need. etc, etc.

Welcome, all cutters.