100% analog

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Serif

Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:26 am

I am considering modding my ATR with an advance head. In my lathe's case, the advance head needs to be 54" in front of the program head so that, when pulling tape 30 ips, I'd have the advance arrive a full turn-table rotation before the program - at 33 1/3 rpm. I don't know if this much distance is possible with the Sterling mod, but I have spoken with ATR Service already who seem up to all challenges.

I'm curious to learn what machines were capable of feeding the Compudisk and the The Lathe the full 1.8 seconds look-ahead without resorting to a digital delay on the program path.

I was told recently that a famous 50 min. LP side was cut using manual de-expansions only. Anyone here routinely cutting fixed pitch with lots of bass, level, and time? (;

- Stylus Wigglesworth

Serif

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:35 pm

Just learned that the 1/2" MCI that was at Fullersound could do 1/2- and full-revolution look-ahead with threadings for three tape speeds and two cutting speeds. Has a neat head cover for each head, with accessible screws for wrap and zenith, as well as a sort of tiller for azimuth.

- Doug Intuit

audadvnc

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:57 am

100% analog is no big deal, it's like saying a board was nailed with a 100% hammer. Of course the advance feed audio doesn't have to be analog. Just start a digital playback a couple seconds before your analog tape machine and you're good to go. In my studio I keep a hawt 21 year old intern around, just to push my buttons... :twisted:

jjgolden

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:27 pm

audadvnc wrote:100% analog is no big deal, it's like saying a board was nailed with a 100% hammer. Of course the advance feed audio doesn't have to be analog. Just start a digital playback a couple seconds before your analog tape machine and you're good to go. In my studio I keep a hawt 21 year old intern around, just to push my buttons... :twisted:

Analog/Hammer/Couple seconds/no big deal/good to go!.... Easy Peezy. :D