Lurkers' thread. Say hi once, OK?

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

JayDC

Re: Lurkers' thread. Say hi once, OK?

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:35 pm

still around, still cutting.. guess i was right since the tone changed.. Once I get my sp10, I'll be back in full force..
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P

opcode66

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:50 pm

Wow, we thought the Earth swallowed you whole or something. Nice to hear from you.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Steve E.
Site Admin

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:06 pm

Yayy! Hi JayDC!

annaeatspizza

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:48 pm

Hi! I'm not a robot. Trying to fix up an Airline, hoping to find some help in these posts. Thanks!

klikli_ska

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:12 am

Hi everyone! Don't eliminate me!

I need this unlimited knowledge forum!! :wink:

Cheers!

Kiss the Groove

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:12 am

I haven't been in the audio business in 35 years, but I peek in here almost every day. I love the enthusiasm and creativity the members show for this "mature" technology. Keep on cuttin'!

Cheers,
KtG

MI11850C

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:35 pm

Hi to all-

Been a lurker here for some time, used Presto, RCA and Fairchild gear up through the mid 1970's. Enjoy reading all the posts, especially interested in stuff of a historical nature. Would love to see some info on the "Fairchild Professional Records" and the equipment that made them; these were embossed aluminum discs, bare metal. no lacquer.

Anyway, thanks for keeping this interesting technology alive!

Andrew

boogievan

Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:15 am

Greetings Lathe Trollers. Have van will haul away your unwanted disc cutting lathes. *L* Upstate NY area and environs. Looking for info on cutting sides. This place looks nice.

- boogie

Fela Borbone

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:00 pm

Hi! I've got Nothing interesting to write....yet!
Thanks Trolls, great board!
Fela.

vmspoland

Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:47 am

Cześć ! ,Jestem Polką z Warszawy, blondynką , 168 cm wzrostu ,jestem studentką Politechniki Warszawskiej , mam 19 lat ,.
Jestem wybitną specjalistką w dziedzinach elektroniki szeroko pojętej , fizyki ,matematyki ,mechaniki precyzyjnej ,zaawansowanej optyki , konstruktorem i projektantem wielu innowacyjnych urządzeń przemysłowych z zakres maszyn CNC , posiadam wiedzę specjalistyczną o urządzeniach typu NEUMANN jak np VMS82 . :D
Kompletnie nie znam języka Angielskiego , posługuję się językiem Polskim , używam prymitywnych tłumaczy komputerowych i internetowych , osoby zainteresowane rozmowa ze mną mogą mieć problemy ze zrozumieniem tekstu . Jestem osobą bezpośrednią , konfliktową , upartą , nie naiwną , ambitną , z lekkością przyjmuję każdą wiedzę i nie mam problemów ze zrozumieniem bardzo skomplikowanych zagadnień .

Nick Danger

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:34 pm

A big thumbs up to all of you lathe trolls out there and thanks for what you are doing! I am looking forward to joining your ranks in the near- future. Until then, I'm gonna keep lurkin'. Be good.

thebutler

Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:33 pm

Hey Guys...

Been lurking here for quite a few years now, thanks for all the info and inspiration... I really do appreciate it!

Made the leap on a TR43H... I definitely feel bad not restoring it to all it's mono glory, but I've started on the frankenlathe path. New motor ordered (I'll be testing direct and rim drive, and will post my results)... new stereo playback path... the list continues :)

Only 1 week into this project and I'm already contemplating a VMS system... PM me if you're interested :D

Thanks again,

Paul.
Paul Butler Tayar
[b]Machina.Pro[/b]

[url]http://www.machina.pro/[/url]

opcode66

Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:36 pm

A Neumann lathe is an absolute pleasure to own. Highly suggested if within your means.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

thebutler

Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:43 pm

I'm sure it is...!

Maybe a good test for my girlfriend too... she is pretty used to large equipment purchases, this could take the cake though :D
Paul Butler Tayar
[b]Machina.Pro[/b]

[url]http://www.machina.pro/[/url]

forward_to_mono

Wed May 29, 2013 6:21 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the hook up for the Westrex 2B - I think I've located a couple.

David

Hákarl

Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi.

My name's Kev, I perform as Hákarl (improv thing) and I live in Brighton UK. I do a bit of curating, a bit of writing, a bit of website management and a lot of moaning about insignificant things. I work in IT because the real world doesn't pay for my actual skills.

I'm here because - perhaps obviously - I want to start cutting records. There's a lot of folk chucking stuff out on CDrs and, frankly, CDrs are a bit crap - so if I can help out some of my music buddies I'm bally well going to.

Yeah, will largely be lurking but thanks to all for sharing - I shall report back on my progress/ frustrations at some point!

NID

Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:25 pm

Hey,

I'm NID. I've never messed around with cutting before. I am a complete beginner at all of this and I'm checking out some threads for newbies. I'm an ambitious person, as well a cheap one ( :P ), so I'm probably gonna try to make my own. However, with no knowledge of how sound works, only a bit of knowledge on mastering and a vague idea of how a lathe works, it's gonna be a while before I actually begin buying parts, assembly, etc.. There's a lot that goes into it, but you know what? That's okay with me. I enjoy a challenge, and honestly, there's nothing better than working your ass off, and hearing the result of your hard work. Moreover, I love learning about audio and technology has always been my thing, so it doesn't really matter if the result is a bit lo-fi. The idea that I can make my own half decent record is good enough for me. I look forward to lurking (a lot of lurking, I have so much to learn) and later (much later), chatting with you trolls for advice :).

See everyone around!
-NID

recordboy

Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:38 am

I've posted before, yet saying hello here too... I'm not official yet, though I've got 3 going on 4 vintage portables, made for the home. I'm excited to make my own recording on to media that can be played back without electricity, as it's been a dream of mine since I was a boy, When I saw a home recording being made on an old tv program from the 40-50's
Cheers,
recordboy

AV-SAUER

Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:12 pm

Dear Trolls,

I am Chris from Dortmund/Germany.
I am a professional Audio & Videotech.
I am a long time Vinyl collector and used to Deejay since I was 15years young and
I´ve been mixing/mastering for nearly 20 years, right now I am Soundengineer at an Opera House/Theater.

Also I am working as a freelance Live-Engineer at various Blues-Jazz Locations.
One example is Blue Notez Club where I mixed lots of international Bands/Artists such as Steve Grossman (Miles Davis Band) to Tony Spinner, GuruGuru,Caravan,Pat Travers Band,
Reverend Shine Snakeoil Co. etc etc etc.

In the meantime I mix/produce and master various Artists mainly for Vinyl releases in my own Studer 963 based Mixroom and my SPL,Manley,Daking,DAV based Mastering Room.
"Aniyo Kore" is one of the latest projects I did with the Band which was released on double vinyl pressed at our trusted Pallas Group friends.
I used to mix/master 40+ records over the last 20 years from Rap to Reggae, Dub etc etc etc.
(Thats one of the reasons why I am hangin around at the Trolls Forum).

I am intrested in Vinylcutting for a long time and I am planning to set up a Cutting Room sooner or later.
Maybe I´ll start with Vinylrecorder or see if I can catch a VMS 60 or 70 for decent money. :-)

It´s always fun hangin out @ the Secret Society Forum!

Greetings to all Trolls!

Chris/AV-Sauer

Rat

Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:28 pm

Greetings Lathe Trollers ...

I am mastering full time but have no lathe at present.

All the best

Paul Blakey (AKA Rat)

Mastering at 12th and Vine Post