Lurkers' thread. Say hi once, OK?

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

skyrocketguy

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:48 pm

Hello.

I'm just a part timer.

Jeff Lake

A_Soundesign

Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:58 pm

Hello,
I'm David from Cleveland, Ohio. I have been running a small record and cassette label for experimental music called 'A Soundesign Recording' since 2004. I recently bought a Masco RK-5 lathe cutter and my internet searches brought me to this forum. I want to start dialoguing with other lathe cutters to help get going with this endeavor. I've bought several lathe records of noise/experimental music before and I've had a 7" lathe record cut of my music by Peter King, beyond that I've had vinyl records pressed at Bill Smith, Archer and United. I'm very excited to learn how to use my machine!

concretecowboy71

Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:58 pm

Welcome.

My name is Clint Holley and I own a Neumann VMS-70 right in Cleveland also!

Drop me a message. I would love to see your rig and would be happy to show you my rig also!
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

jessep

Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:16 pm

Hello.

My name is Jesse.

I love music. I have a degree in audio engineering, focusing on studio recording, mixing, and digital mastering. I have engineered a lot of punk and psychedelic rock records, and mastered tracks for both bands and electronic dance music artists. I have done some live sound engineering work on the side as well.

I am working on starting a record label; the first release is slotted for January. It will be a run of 200 vinyl. Learning about the vinyl process has made me want to discover more and more about it.

Now, I am trying to get an internship, or some type of training in lacquer mastering. I would love to work at a mastering studio cutting lacquers. I would also love to learn the manufacturing side of things and work in a pressing plant. Let me know if you can help, : )

This forum is great.

[/i]

ArchaicRecords

Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:00 pm

I have two old suitcase models for 78-RPM - a Meissner (1940s) and a Federal Recorder (1930s), that are currently being restored at West-Tech. Now the Meissner needs to have a transformer rewound and more issues are being discovered with the Federal.
archaicrecords.com

jhdave

Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:33 pm

Hello,

I've been lurking this place for years. For some reason I've never really posted too much. I've been a fan of all things analog since I can remember. Being a kid and listening to old Patsy Cline records with my parents.

For some reason I have an extreme urge to learn techniques of pressing, plating. My dream job, (although I know it's a boring repetitive job) is to work at a plant. I hung out the Rainbo plant as much as I could, whenever I fly down there.

I run a label as well. Our first release was in the early 90's and was a crappy URP pressed 7". Then I kind of dissapeared from the scene until around 01 or so. And have been cranking out releases since.

Anyway, thank for the welcome, and all of the cutters, pressers, plant owners for keeping things alive, and sharing their knowledge!
I've learned a lot just from lurking these boards.
I should really post more often.

drplywood

Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:40 am

Hello,
My name is Dave.
I have been listening to records since I was a wee one in the 70s. I have been making music winds up on records since the 80s and mastering music that winds up on vinyl since the 90s.
Thanks for letting me hang out and learn.

spikemtz

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:29 pm

Hello! My name is Spike. I'm a Hoosier and a guitar picker. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about recording and hope to someday have a lathe of my own! Was very happy to find such a forum!

audadvnc

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi, I'm Robert Hughes in Minneapolis. And I'm a techie, soon-to-be lathe troll. My pal Ralph has a Scully lathe with Westrex head & electronics, and we're about to bring this classic machine back into commercial service. I've heard the Lathe Trolls forum is the place to be for record cutters, so here I am.

What prompted this? I just got laid off from my day job of 6 years (technology director, sales mgr, a/v tech for well-heeled hotel clients, which was really just a make-do gig from the get go), and have some time on my hands. Ralph builds hi-end vacuum tube amplifiers (you may know him already) and has this great machine that's just waiting to get put to use.

I don't know much about lathes, record cutting or vinyl mastering, but I saw a couple of YouTube videos - and ran a music recording studio service for years (hence the screen name, "audadvnc", short for "audio advances") and have been an electronics guy since the days when vacuum tubes were still regular, everyday tools. Hey, I date from the 20th Century, I think I'll get the hang of it without too much difficulty... heh!

I mean, how hard could it be? Famous last words.
Last edited by audadvnc on Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

lr

Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:06 am

hi

mich from berne switzerland.

I get vinyls pressed once in a while, mostly 100 copies of 7"es, but I'd also like to do smaller, yet affordable runs of lathe cuts and I'm pretty new to this so I don't know really where to start / ask.

poly-cut has one order pending, besides that.. I won't bite if anyone gets at me.. ha.

cheers

Tripp Nasty

Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:36 pm

Howdy...don't delete my account! My name is Tripp Nasty and I run a label out of Denver, Colorado called Alta-Fidelidad specializing in Noise, weirdo acoustic music (classical and folk) and the miscellaneous black metal recording. I have a Recordette Sr. and a 3-speed Recordette that I'm sending to Gib at West Tech to restore next month.

This forum is great, thanks to everyone who has kept this thing going and providing such great knowledge about this subject.

I lurk around here quite a bit and love it!

The Treaty Oak Collective

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:33 pm

Hi,

I'm Brandon. I've been lurking for a while now and taking in as much as possible. So much knowledge here and I love reading everything everyone has to offer. I'm in R&D for a catalyst company that mainly services the petroleum industry. In my "off" time I run The Treaty Oak Collective, a booking/promo/record label. If anyone here is in a band and ever needs help with shows in the Houston Tx area, I'm always willing to help.

Cheers,
Brandon

Precise

Thu May 10, 2012 4:00 pm

Hi pleased to meet you all,

Sam from Precise Mastering here. I used to be based in London now we are in the Scottish Borders. Been cutting professionally for around 12 years now. Cut on VMS82, VMS80, VMS70 and now own a VMS66 which I've restored and been cutting on for for some years now.

Everyday's a learning curve, every problems a headache :) its all worth it in the end though.

Great forum, thanks

Sam

Buzzsonic

Hi from another Lurker!

Thu May 24, 2012 7:54 am

I've been lurking around here for a while, found via Google search for vinyl pressing plants. Was doing research for a blog post on getting vinyl pressed and just find that the Lathe Trolls is a one of a type resource, packed with killer information.

I had a few 12s out in the 90s under the name 99th Floor Elevators and miss those days when I could spend the whole day browsing dance music stores in Londons West End. Living in Florida now, thinking of putting out a ltd press colour vinyl 7 out from my old band, just because! I used to treasure my 7inchers with those Delga Press picture sleeves!

Thanks for the wisdom guys, really appreciated, I love it here!

Adrian

PS My piece http://area239.com/market-your-mp3s-using-vinyl-record/
Let me know if I made any major mistakes! :-)

chaosbc

Tue May 29, 2012 5:09 am

Hello, I am Ben from france and I am a brand new record latheoholic. :lol:

iparty

Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:03 am

Been a lurker for a while, love vinyl, own a vinyl only punk rock label and just looking to pick up as much knowledge as possible

and im not a robot

ejemmons

Lurker At The Threshold

Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:18 pm

Hello, and Happy New Year to Fellow Trolls! I am a qualified newbie; I made my first chain in 1967 out of radio station backroom gear: Rek-O-Kut Model 'V', Fairchild 540 (I think) which I rewound, a home brew amp with P-P 807's - I was 17 then, and hadn't found my way to Hollywood yet...

Now, I am 61, and am interested in once again being able to cut: I think it would be a wonderful niche to add to my existing studio: but the real deal is that I have never found anything to equal the experience of record cutting. For awhile, I had both chains from the old Annex Studios, Scully/Westrex, back in 1994, on loan from a gentleman who'd lost his facility. How I wish I'd been able to hang on to them! At that time I met Len, who cut me a ref dub on his Scully/Panasonic, I am thrilled to see he's still around, and yes, I will be going to Culver City soon!

With everything being all down-home digital now, I also believe it imperative to preserve and promote this Art.

This year, I begin the search for my own chain, with this site as my start point, so if there is anyone who'd be willing or able to help me move this process along, I and my chequebook are willing....

Thank you, SSOLTF, for being here. It is indeed wondrous to find so many like-minded souls!!!!

EJ Emmons

Graham B.

Lurker saying HI

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:53 pm

I am not a robot. I haven't posted because I've found the answers to my questions already out there and haven't had a lot to offer outside of that.

W.B.

Re: Lurker At The Threshold

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:59 am

ejemmons wrote:For awhile, I had both chains from the old Annex Studios, Scully/Westrex, back in 1994, on loan from a gentleman who'd lost his facility. How I wish I'd been able to hang on to them!
I have quite a few LP's and 45's mastered on those Scully/Westrex' from Annex Studios.

scalawag

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:49 pm

Hi!
I'm David from Portugal. I have so many things to learn. This is the place!
I've already read a LOT of posts and you guys are a fantastic community.
Cheers,
David