longest time on one side with label

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

MEGAMIKE

longest time on one side with label

Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:25 am

hi all ..
ive just cut 38.30sec on one side with the 92mm label(or is it 82mm??)no lead in or lead out groove, just grooves. anyway i think i can push to 40 or even 42mins or if i cut the spindal off my 1200 then i can do more haha ,i recorded an interview(noam chomsky)very low volume as i think that any music would afect such a tight cut..
has anybody cut more ? or is this common.. :D

MEGAMIKE

Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:19 am

HELLO" anybody

Jccc

Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:00 pm

I have read the Aardvark mastering site and the longest he did on 33 was 37 minutes but he states he cut longer times also.

I also have a "John Wiese & Spencer Yeh" 7" that has 13:09 on one side.
The quality is pretty good!

I am trying to find more feed screws so i can start fitting more time on cuts because right now i only have 120lpi.

fusionkid

MORE TIME

Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:25 pm

Fight the new world order.... record MORE and MORE

fusionkid

Recording Time

Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:39 pm

I collect records i'm sure i've got an old LP with about 45mins on it
And 7" EPs seen several over 10 mins, i will put it on my list of things to remember to try and find, and post when i do!
Actually i got 70's disco on 7" with 12" mix on B side 9.5 mins on Epic label very shallow/narrow but ok if you turn volume up, any slight crackle is like a bomb going off!

cuttercollector

Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:56 am

I have a Christmas album issued by Radio Shack in the 70s called "90 minutes with Arthur Fiedler". It is 45min. / side.
Longest 7" (at 45) I have is T.B. Sheets by Van Morrison @ 9:34

MEGAMIKE

Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:55 am

kool thanks

mossboss

Long Play

Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:37 am

Hey All
How about a 12" with 65 minutes on it, over 59 songs Printed on the cover in double letters are the words "Double Play" With about 32 m on one side and a bit over 33 m on the other In and out grooves as well as about 3/4" left blank at the dead land area Longest track 2.49 sortest 1.47 Pressed by Crest Records in Hi Fi micro groove mono It is stated on the record that it will sound even better on stereo
All songs by the Singalongers Directed by Fred Ziegler It is around the mid 60's judging by the list of songs on it as well as the non existant postcode so it makes it prior to 1967 or there abouts
Logo on the record is "The BEST that's PRESSED is on a CREST" 8)
Doesn't that rhyme? :)
the crunch is that it is done at 16 & 2/3 RPM that got you :D
On a serious note
Just about every Garard OEM t/t ever sold had 16 & 2/3 setting on them until very late even as late as the 80's including the popular Changers They must have made 10's of millions of them on the same dies, even though records at this speed where quite rare
I think in all my years I have seen less than 50 of them if that
At 45 and above 6 m you are asking for trouble The lock grooves on most lathes has been moved as far as it will go just before the raised part towards the center of the record Lots of lathes where modified for that as Juke boxes needed that extra bit "longer space" so as to triger them off even though there was no more than say 3-3.5 m on them Now days people ask for all sorts of time duration on a 7" in some instances rediculous
Of course it all depends on the music as well as the cutting lathe Some fixed pitch lathes can be driven up to quite high LPI with specifically ground lead screws With a good micro point new stylus and a good cutter on the controls at -1 or -2 dB one can pack it in for sure wether it plays on an every day type of t/t is another question It is much harder to do with a variable pitch machine as you have no real control of the pitch
Cheers

Aussie0zborn

Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:14 am

Don Grossinger cut 46 minutes on one side of an LP using DMM when he was at the now defunct Europadisk, according to one of his internet posts. Apparently it was a solo guitar album and he cut it at normal level which is not hard to believe.

Mike, was your cut on a 7", 10" or 12" disc?????? What speed?

MEGAMIKE

Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:58 am

wow so much info kool :D ..
yes i cut a 12inch at 33rpm ,but i think i can do more and beat this 46mins but the 38min one i did is just somebody talking ,will music be harder to cut because of treble bass/etc..like i said before if i saw off the spike /spindale piont off my technics then i will fit more on a 12inch because the head gets in the way.. :D

differant threads and speed i did not think off before as i only have a souri lathe, i think time is limited on older machines..or build more calibrated threads..

mossboss

Megamike

Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:32 pm

Hey, do you want a lent of my Hot Axe? (oxy torch) Let me know I am only a couple of k x k away from you in the garden state Cheers

MEGAMIKE

Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:45 am

all good, dad has one and i will just stick to cutting times with the label.
ps .i thought it was just me and ozzy. on lathe troll in australia.hahah.

mossboss

Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:43 pm

MEGAMIKE wrote:all good, dad has one and i will just stick to cutting times with the label.
ps .i thought it was just me and ozzy. on lathe troll in australia.hahah.
Got you, we are zenith records man. Confirmed Vinyl presing plants list here we are shown as Victory not Victoria Never mind Victory is good but
Hey
Cheers
:D

MEGAMIKE

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:21 am

ok iam comin over to pickle ur brain hahhah :D

cymbalism

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:39 am

i actually picked up a classical box set at a thrift store the other day which has 11 plates in it, some sides peak at 45 minutes each. i havent had time to play it to test the quality but that's just insane to me. any slight bump on the surface would cause it to skip seconds upon seconds.

has anyone messed around with cutting double grooves on a side? i know a handful of releases which have actually done this. there was a monty python lp which has 3 sides on 1 plate - side 1 has 2 sets of grooves. also - mr. bungle's second lp, disco volante had a 7" which used this process as did de la soul's "me, myself and i" 12" and tool's "aenima" lp from what i've heard (i sold mine years ago but never really paid attention to it if it had that processing or not - only played it once and it was the same as the cd version, guess i didnt hit the second set of grooves).
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

flozki

Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:24 pm

hei tommie
yes just did recently a double groove.
each side has double grooves.
it is a 10inch record. first track is 33rpm starts at 10 inch
second track is 45 rpm and starts at around 7.5 inch

2nd side also 10inch 33 and 45...

just released these days. by the way same artist i made the flexi disk 2 years ago....
http://www.everestrecords.ch/bolzplatz/

quite funny

paul from aardvark did quite many double and i think even triple or even quadruple grooves... but i dont know of any of these are ever released or not.

cymbalism

Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:01 pm

flozki wrote:hei tommie
yes just did recently a double groove.
each side has double grooves.
it is a 10inch record. first track is 33rpm starts at 10 inch
second track is 45 rpm and starts at around 7.5 inch

2nd side also 10inch 33 and 45...

just released these days. by the way same artist i made the flexi disk 2 years ago....
http://www.everestrecords.ch/bolzplatz/

quite funny

paul from aardvark did quite many double and i think even triple or even quadruple grooves... but i dont know of any of these are ever released or not.
is there a way to do this on a 6N? i'd totally like to try this sometime. like what kind of feedscrew would be needed?
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

flozki

Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:44 pm

i think you should be able to do it.
use the largest pitch feedscrew..the more space between the grooves the better.

then you need to fix the disc on the table. and make a mark on the side.
you have to sync on some point when lowering the head.
i kind of automated on my lathe.
also you need a reference point on the feedscrew carriage...
always start on same point.
lower the head, when your turntable mark pass any reference on the cuttercase. for example the left front corner of the case.
then cut the first groove.

then go back with the carriage to ref point.
then lower the head half round later....that would mean on the right back corner...

normally it should be much simpler on fixed pitch machines, synchronized tt with feedscrew.
i have never done on a presto. but try it..

maybe the mechanical tolearnces makes it hard to do double groove
also you have to calculate the pitch needed. to see if a presto feescrew can fit.
make a drawing with all parameters, groove with, max excursion of the stylus plus some additional land... then calculate the lpis you need.
f.