Making Records In England

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

fusionkid

Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:13 pm

Hi Trolls, just found this forum, good work everyone it's all very interesting. I'm based in the UK and i'm interested in what recording lathes were/are used here. Obviously Neumann & Scully are seen in most cuttting houses other than that I know Lyrec portable machines have been used here, what about the array of portable machines found in the US? Did any of those sell here, did we have any similar UK made machines? Any info appreciated. I've had an interest in cutting vinyl for a few years, i'm a mad record collector and play in a funk band. I intend to invest in (probably) a vinylium system in the next year or two to satisfy my own interest and to offer a dub cutting service. But i would like to try and gain as much hands on experience as i can get in the meantime, i'm thinking "what mechanisms/ parts can be salvaged from other machinery to make a home brew lathe?" I haven't been thru the whole forum yet so don't know whats been posted.

COOL ARTICLE & FILM: EMI Hayes plant, now The Vinyl Factory
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1198335/How-Britain-got-groove-back.html

mossboss

Re: Making Records In England

Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:29 pm

fusionkid wrote:i'm thinking "what mechanisms/ parts can be salvaged from other machinery to make a home brew lathe?" I haven't been thru the whole forum yet so don't know whats been posted.

COOL ARTICLE & FILM: EMI Hayes plant, now The Vinyl Factory
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1198335/How-Britain-got-groove-back.html
Firstly Welcome to the Trolls Secondly It is all here my man and you will find it I am sure, just use the search function You will be pleased Than ask questions on the things that seem to be ellusive to you You will get responses For sure
Cheers

cymbalism

Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:23 pm

hey fusionkid

my advice, just watch ebay for a cutter. you can find rek-o-kut or presto arms and various cutterheads pop up every once in awhile and if you score a high torque turntable with a 16" platter, i'm sure you could muster up a diy project. or go for the whole shebang! :)

best of luck and happy trolling!
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

fusionkid

Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:03 am

Anyone based in UK, England, Herts, wishing to collaborate, or contribute practically on the build of a complete cutting system feel free to contact me, i have plans!, i estimate spending 1 to 2 years to get something worthwhile working.