Timmion Records Record Cutting Laboratory

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Didier S

Timmion Records Record Cutting Laboratory

Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:58 am

Hello people

Just registerrd up after reading the site for some time.. I have been cutting for one year, location Helsinki Finland. I am using equipment by Neumann.. SP79, SAL74, VMS 70 and SX68. Looking forward to cut records for profession while running a recording studio mainly for my own productions.http://www.timmion.com

Best regards to all the members of this forum, intersting reading!
Didier

Aussie0zborn

Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:24 am

Welcome and glad you joined us! That is a very nice cutting system and a beautiful console. Keep in touch.

Where do you get your records pressed??

mossboss

Another Cutter

Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:56 am

Hey Didier Welcome aboard Cheers

Didier S

Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:09 am

Thank you for the welcoming!

The equipment is certainly very nice but takes much service to work with proper.. The VMS 70 was equipped with a CBS disc computer system, that is not function at its most convinient at times, also looks not as good as the orig Neumann.. With the SP-79 there is the strangest oscillation problem occuring from time to time! we havent figured it out yet, but we are constantly looking to solve it, changing capacitors etc..

We have had our labels records printed at various factories in Germany, mostly. Between years 1998-2003 we used the GZmedia, but was not quite satisfied with the quality back then, so we´ve started trying other factories & cutting rooms.. Was also a big reason why getting our own cutting equipment; No need to wait for months for a cut we´d prefer! Now i am happy that i can also provide the service to local producers and labels.

Didier

mossboss

Oscillation issues

Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:22 am

Hey Didier
Have you tried a UPS to supply the cutting system with? They are sold very low cost now ex computer stuff Dont worry if the batteries need replacing as you only use it as an "isolator" from mains induced rubbish
We use one with a surge box after it it seems to stop these annoying things We used to spend a lot of time trying to find out where the problem was It fixed it We dont look for it any more
Cheers
Last edited by mossboss on Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Didier S

Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:31 am

Hello Mossboss, no i havent tried that, will do asap! Thank you for the info!

Sometimes the stereo fader, the one below RDL, gets groovy with the oscillation and can be adjusted from sliding the fader.. : ) yes, very annoying!! ..And pushing the EQ button off and on usually makes it go away, too, for sometime.. various situations!

Didier

mossboss

UPS for Consoles

Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:32 pm

Hi all
Someone pm me for information on ups capacity It is quite easy to find out Use a clamp style amp meter to see what the system is drawing
Find one that is a little larger than that We only use it for the console as that is where most issues arise and it is quite a small unit We also use a surge protector after it as well as another surge protector for the cutting lathe including it's rack
The console only uses a few amps If you can get one that will run the whole system at the right price better still
I think we paid about $150 for the unit used The batteries in it needed replacing as they had lost their storage ability however we were not looking for back up power just something to isolate any mains induced spikes surges as well as brown outs We are in an industrial area with lots of industry around with quite large electrical equipment going on and off all the time We used to get brown outs when the cement factory used to start or stop their electric motor Upon investigation we found out that even though it was some 20 odd miles away we used to get a voltage drop with a rise in current and than the opposite effect It is a 3500 HP motor and it runs at 6600 Volts so it sucks the life out of the mains The power company was allways informed of the start and stop times of this monster so they made sure there was enough juice in the system but it still played havoc with the whole grid for a few minutes and only about 5-6 times a year As Murphy's law in full flight it was whenever you did something important
Cheers

Aussie0zborn

Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:27 am

Oscillation? Old capacitors maybe?

Can I ask where you got the CBS Discomputer from? Obviously this is a system that came from a CBS plant???

Didier S

Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:09 pm

Sorry for my late reply..

The sustem has been atleast in Nashville and before we got it, it had been running in Nottingham. I believe the Lathe was built by Neumann speccially for CBS´s specs so that they could insult the Lathe with their control system... Although its quite funky late70´s/early 80`s design style with L-E-D´s and all !

Didier

IndependentRecordPressing

Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:52 am

Saw This System at work - it is very funky... the only person who could use it properly was Chris King - and he was VERY thorough!!

Chris - You have a PM,

Cheers,
John.
Resurecting Independent Pressing from the dead...

Monkey

Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:34 am

John did you get my PM?