This is a forum for RECORD cutting lathes

Announcements and discussions ABOUT the site. Info on registering, ideas for improvement, FAQs and the like.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

This is a forum for RECORD cutting lathes

Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:39 pm

This is a forum for RECORD cutting lathes, and related topics. Things used to make those music discs that spin on turntables and have grooves in them. Frequently black in color.

For some reason I am getting a spate of forum requests for people wanting to join a wood-turning lathe group. Someone must have posted a link somewhere.

I apologize for lacking the foresight to give this forum a more specific name.

ROLANDJAYS

Re: This is a forum for RECORD cutting lathes

Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:49 pm

it is because there is a brand called 'record " they make lathe tools and accessories for turning wood, not dubs ..............tell me no?

rsimms3

Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:46 am

ROLANDJAYS wrote:it is because there is a brand called 'record " they make lathe tools and accessories for turning wood, not dubs ..............tell me no?
Exactly. I see lots of wood/metal lathe results when I search eBay for record cutting lathes and associated items.

45rpmdude

Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:34 pm

Do you want to be really specific.. such as vinly cutting or would the term be worse for people who cant spell. Shoud it be called ''Vinyl recording for secrets of the lathe trolls.'' or should you just call it cutting records on vinyl lathes. Not Wood,,..

Records are know as acetates but acetates are cardboard or fibre one cutt disks.
Not like pressed in a studio where there are 60 pressed in a matter or three hours..

Acetates and sounds forum.. forgive me but if no one can spell it then it would be difficult to find..correct,,.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:33 am

ROLANDJAYS wrote:it is because there is a brand called 'record " they make lathe tools and accessories for turning wood, not dubs ..............tell me no?
OMG. There is. I don't even want to spell out its full name because it will add to the search results, but....here:

Drywall

Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:15 pm

This thread is funny. I'm new to the forum though, not to record cutting.

I have had a wood and metal shop business for years in LA, and have owned Record Power tools.

I also operate a recording lathe. Often enough, I find need in casual conversation to explain what a lathe is to start with, regardless of the material being spun.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:37 pm

We need a good hi-res photo or two of a record being cut, or something like that, for the masthead. You'd think this would be easy, but every professional looking picture I've found that I ever seriously considered was owned by someone.

If anyone wants to submit such a picture, you'd be doing the site a great mitzvah. I should hold a contest.