Hey, update your password, why not?

Announcements and discussions ABOUT the site. Info on registering, ideas for improvement, FAQs and the like.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

Hey, update your password, why not?

Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:38 pm

You might have read about the Heartbleed bug. You can Google it. It was an security vulnerability that just got caught.

My research says: The board as it now stands is quite safe. We are running phpBB 3.0.12 software and that's good stuff.

Here's the problem: The vulnerability was introduced in late 2011. Until January of 2013, this board was stuck on a server in India, using phpBB2 software that was 6.5 years out of date. There is a small chance (albeit a miniscule one) that one of the zillions of spambots that visited the site could have collected some data before the site was updated.

I do think that if this had happened, we'd have seen the results of it by now. And, I doubt most of us are storing terribly valuable information here, in our private messages or anything. (Although, if you are using the same password here as elsewhere, that could be a problem for you.)

But why chance it, anyway? Update your password. User_Control_Panel>Profile>Edit_account_settings.

Please note that if you change your email address (as opposed to your password), your account will be automatically deactivated and I will have to reactivate it. If that happens, just email me (SteveEspinola at g mail.com) and I'll take care of it as quickly as I can.