"Panic! How do I get back to the old board style???"

Announcements and discussions ABOUT the site. Info on registering, ideas for improvement, FAQs and the like.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

"Panic! How do I get back to the old board style???"

Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:46 am

So, yes, I have finally switched the board over to a new style. I hope you will like it. Give it a try. I've been working on it pretty much non-stop since the beginning of the year. It may take getting used to, but it is far more functional in a lot of ways....and I really do think it's a lot more fun, too.

But if you don't wanna, and if you are a logged-in member, you can switch to the old style, Subsilver2, or the phpBB3 default style, which is Prosilver. I will probably leave those styles available permanently.

I will post step-by-step pictures of how to do this in a couple days. For now, though, here are the important basics on how to switch:

1) Go to "User Control Panel," which is now on the upper left of the board.

2) When you click it, a button will appear below it reading "Overview". Find the dropdown called "Board preferences." Select it.

3) Find "My Board Style" and change it to "Subsilver 2". While you are at it, you can change other things, like your default board language, time zone, etc. (I don't recommend messing with foreign languages unless you know them. You could really confuse yourself and be unable to find your way back to your preferences. Voice of experience.)

4) Be sure to click the "submit" button.

5) In some browsers, for example Mozilla Firefox, you may need to clear your cache to get the style to hold. I've found that happens to me. For Firefox, go to Advanced-->network-->cached web content --> Clear Now if you can't get your preferred style to hold.

6) If you have any difficulties, private message me and I'll help.

7) The Artodia Deluxe style is "Responsive", which means it is supposed to change its look on smart phones, etc. I am still ironing out some kinks regarding this. One clue is that the overhead menus condenses into a dropdown menu with 4 arrows on it. (vvvv). Click that if you can't find any crucial buttons on your phone.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: Panic! How do I get back to the old style???

Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:16 am

PS....I'm fully aware that there are some resizing issues at present. The banner ads are squished! :D I'll suss this all out in the next couple of days.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: Panic! How do I get back to the old board style???

Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:46 am

Banners no longer squished, but maybe some other image problems will replace them. Oy, this software!

Apparently the next version of phpBB3, which is coming around soon, will handle images in a more sophisticated way.

In other news, only 6 people switched back to the old style, and one switched to Prosilver, according to my stats. Either by passivity, or not realizing that they could switch, or, hopefully, because they LIKE the new style, people have stuck with it. Hooray! (There has been remarkably little feedback.)

It does appear that when phpBB3 upgrades again, THEY are going to drop Subsilver2 as an option, so I'm glad we are ahead of the game.