WIKI: lathetrolls.pbworks.com CONTRIBUTE YOUR KNOWLEDGE

Announcements and discussions ABOUT the site. Info on registering, ideas for improvement, FAQs and the like.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

piaptk

WIKI: lathetrolls.pbworks.com CONTRIBUTE YOUR KNOWLEDGE

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:22 pm

Ok, so I've begun cleaning up the wiki that was set up a while ago.. I've put in an outline that I think makes sense, but I am obviously just a step above a newbie compared to 90% of you on here. On top of that, my time is as limited as everyone elses, so the only way to get this done right is for every to contribute a little bit as they can, and in the area of their expertise.

So, PLEASE, go over to PBwiki, set up an account (quick and easy) and contribute to this thing. It will be extremely helpful and time saving for all of us, and very informative to the legions of people who come here with interest in the hobby, but no idea where to start. Just so we can kind of keep a running dialog of what is happening over there, post in this thread whenever you make sure edits.

http://lathetrolls.pbworks.com/w/page/22959575/The%20Secret%20Society%20of%20Lathe%20Trolls

Steve E.
Site Admin

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:58 pm

nice! thank you!

tragwag

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:18 pm

i added some basic descriptions in the "cutting overview" section.
just to define the reasons for lathe cutting records.
also added a link for Palomino record pressing.

the section on machines looks really good!
same with blanks and stylus, they're very to the point about results and what is actually out there.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

tragwag

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:44 pm

i just added some pictures to the suitcase cutters and semi-pro cutters sections.
i figure that might help people identify what they have, or at least get introduced to the physicality of this stuff.
feel free to change the pictures if you have better ones!

piaptk

Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:54 pm

Cool... Keep it up!

I'll be out of town on vacation for a week (and hopefully not thinking about record cutting, and instead enjoying time with my family (though the chances of my mind not drifting back to my dear old 6N, all lonely at home, at least once are slim)).

audadvnc

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:26 am

What sort of information do you want on this Wiki? Machine manuals & schematics, old or new pictures, videos, how-to's, common problems and solutions? Do you intend to make this into the the preferred reference archive for the community?

Are there copyright issues to watch for? Would sellers of old machine manuals consider manuals posted here as competition to their business?

I see several topics have not had pages created yet. Do you want us to do so? For instance, I put up a picture of an inspection microscope...
Last edited by audadvnc on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

tragwag

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:42 pm

audadvnc wrote:What sort of information do you want on this Wiki? Machine manuals & schematics, old or new pictures, videos, how-to's, common problems and solutions? Do you intend to make this into the the preferred reference archive for the community?

Are there copyright issues to watch for? Would sellers of old machine manuals consider manuals posted here as competition to their business?

I see several topics have not had pages created yet. Do you want us to do so? For instance, I could put up a picture of an inspection microscope, if there was a page already existing.

Edit: I put a comment on the "x-ray" page, then made a small edit/addition to the article. Wiki updating looks pretty straightforward.
I see the wiki page as a more focused reference.
on the forum we have discussions about problems and such, but some things there are a straight answer for.
Hopefully the wiki will define some of these straight answers as well as give history and meaning to common machines, etc.
thoughts?

Steve E.
Site Admin

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:54 am

Wow. I just checked this out a bit more. This is AWESOME. Such a useful thing, and an appropriate reorganizing of the info here.

The "schematics" and "references" sections here are obvious places to find good info. The "references" section, I regret to say, is not as up to date as it could be. In a way, every thread is potentially a reference thread.

As for copyright issues, it may be fair to say that the implicit understanding is: The data people post here has been given freely, with the understanding that is not being used commercially (that is, nobody is selling anyone's words or claiming them as their own).

Published manuals might be another story, but we have never yet received a single complaint or legal threat. A lot of these manuals are from companies that are out of business.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:16 am

I notice that the manuals have been uploaded to Google Docs somewhere.

How does this work? How to do this?

You may notice that I have linked to various articles and manuals in the "schematics" section on this site. They are hosted at my website (steveespinola.com). Anything I have posted is fair game, but it's a good idea to re-host them somewhere else--I may be moving my whole site soon.

audadvnc

Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:32 am

I have added schematic diagrams for the Westrex 1700 to the wiki:

http://lathetrolls.pbworks.com/w/page/52914783/Westrex%201700%20Schematics

piaptk

Thu May 24, 2012 1:37 pm

I've added some more stuff. Unfortunately, the wiki at this point is 90% stuff I put up... it would be much more useful if people with a little more advanced knowledge could contribute.

I would consider my info to be great for Newbies, since I've put in a ton of time, work, and money trying to figure this stuff out in the last couple of years.

But, it would be nice to have some of you "Old Timers" share more about the more professional side of cutting, since I am much more interested in the weird and experimental side of it.

petermontg

Fri May 25, 2012 6:15 am

Just added Neumann VMS calibration setup to manuals, also schematic for Presto 6N Outside-In feedscrew. Hope it helps someone.

tragwag

Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:23 pm

I check the wiki a lot, and send a bunch of people who are confused about the process. Hopefully I'll be able to add more knowledge as I get started with the 6N, but I would love to see more Neumann/pro info as well!

Steve E.
Site Admin

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:49 pm

This seems unlikely to me:

http://lathetrolls.pbworks.com/w/page/53979308/Feedscrews

To calculate available time with each screw use this formula:
Amount of cuttable space on a record (measure the amount of groove space on one half of a record: 2" on a 7" or 3.5" on a 12") * LP1 / 60 (seconds).

Who is getting 2" of cutting space on a 7" record????

FFrankensteinRecords

Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:05 pm

It's half of the cutting space, so 2" would be right for 4" of cutting space.

piaptk

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:40 pm

Yeah, measure the width of the groove band on a 7". You've got 7"s minus 4" of label/run out groove in the middle leaves 3" of total groove space left, but half is on the eastern hemisphere of the record and half is on the western hemisphere of the record... leaving actually only 1.5" of cutting space....

Serif

Re: Lathe Trolls WIKI - PLEASE contribute...

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Last edited by Serif on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:56 pm

I've updated that chart a bit! Here is the original thread containing it:

https://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=824
lpi1_rev.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:37 am

Serif, why did you zap? I seem to recall that was a really good post.