Let's keep this place CIVIL and FUN

Announcements and discussions ABOUT the site. Info on registering, ideas for improvement, FAQs and the like.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

Let's keep this place CIVIL and FUN

Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

I feel it is worth reposting this little paragraph from the thread at the top of the page:

I am new to this board administration thing. Over time I may start coming up with guidelines to keep things civil and fun. My only rule right now is: Please remember that you are talking to real people who have feelings, intelligence and experience. They may have opinions and outlooks that differ from yours. Learn from them, even if you disagree. Be mutually respectful. The golden rule, basically. Harassment won't be tolerated and will get you zapped.

If you are having trouble with someone on the board, let me know about it right away by Private Message.

I stand by this. I don't like the way people are shooting each other down, and taunting. There is some ludicrous immaturity on the board, some of it by longtime posters.

Please, let's be respectful. If you feel someone is being mean to you, don't escalate things by responding with more meanness or sarcasm, either online or by private message. Instead, private message me, preferably with as much context as possible (cut and paste all PMs from both parties, or send links from threads). Do not wait until you are annoyed enough to leave, or until you are extremely upset. I want to nip this stuff in the bud.

I feel like a school recess policeman writing this. It feels dumb. Let's grow up around here.
Last edited by Steve E. on Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:15 pm

PS....I have temporarily disabled editing and deleting of posts by non-Mods. This will be annoying to some. Personally, I tend to redit and reshape what I say over and over again. I imagine others are the same.

I'm doing this because I'm trying to get a clearer sense of what is going on around here. I don't want people destroying evidence, or zapping all their contributions in a fit of pique. Please know that, for a little while at least, if you regret writing something, you will need to PM me to have it removed.

thank you!

Steve

Steve E.
Site Admin

Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:41 pm

To beat a dead horse: I posted the following in another thread, too:

I set this board up to encourage experimentation, creativity, and the open trading of ideas and knowledge. There are ways to set people straight that are helpful, positive, constructive and encouraging. There are ways to receive information, from experienced people, that encourage more wisdom being shared.

CIVIL and FUN are main rules of this board. Both of those things, at the same time. I regret the extent to which I have allowed the board to deviate from this. I am going to redouble my efforts to keep this board a fun and civil place.