Shure pulling the plug on phono cartridge production

Turntables, tonearms, preamps, amps, cables, monitor speakers. What do you use to play back your one-off dubplates or pressed records? (related topics, too.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Aussie0zborn

Re: Shure pulling the plug on phono cartridge production

Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:14 am

Α crying shame. So many years of experience and it's all gone.
On a happier note, my buddy picked up a NOS v15 cartridge at the markets for $20.

jjgolden

Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:27 am

Yea such a bummer, I really hope somebody acquires the assets or at least get's some documentation on the construction & tech specs etc.
The company invested so much time & energy in R&D for the progression of vinyl playback technology.
The Shure V series was a benchmark reference for many cutting houses and used in lathe alignment etc.

Wow what a find! $20!
They are mostly picked over now but there was a period a few years back where people were scouring the thrift stores for record players..... In many of those cases they only wanted the Shure V series
cartridges that were attached!

JJG

Phinster

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:54 am

So, Sennheiser abandon the Neumann lathe line..now Shure gives up on cart making.

Two manufacturers of lacquers, one of cutting styli, a handful of people who can rebuild heads and know their way around disk cutting machines with vinyl on the up turn.

Wotta woild! :oops:

audiosteam

Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:13 pm

Tsokay.. can't you see we're going to have some laser cartridges for reading our news HD vinyls :lol:

Behind Shure's official statement I read Lower Profit. Shure is a huge corporation. The phono market share was very small compared to microphones, PA etc.

Shure did some great R&D in the past but they were sleeping for many years.. I admit that it's sad and hope their legacy will not sink.. but it's also a good reminder.. big corporations are sales driven, maybe just a handfull of individuals caring about the products.. we should think about supporting smaller, human sized businesses.

Let's see if it bring some space for smaller players like Grado, Taruya, Nagaoka, Goldring..