Needing help to transfer a disc

Turntables, tonearms, preamps, amps, cables, monitor speakers. What do you use to play back your one-off dubplates or pressed records? (related topics, too.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

sahib

Needing help to transfer a disc

Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:07 pm

Gentlemen,

I was wondering if a member would be interested in helping me out by transferring a pretty old one-off disc. I would happily pay for the service. I am based in Glasgow, UK.

The disc is slightly larger than a CD and made of aluminium carrier with (what I would imagine) wax recording medium on both sides. It dates back to late 50s and contains my wife's uncle's singing when he was a young man. The story is that apparently in those days there used to be "record shops" where they would record you straight onto a disc on the fly to take away with you. A couple of years ago my wife's uncle died and obviously we would like this to be read and transferred to music file so that my wife's cousin can make some copies onto CD to distribute to family members.

As it is seen from the pictures the wax is flaked-off and there is the possibility that it may flake off during playing. Therefore if it is destroyed then I am ok with it. At least we will have tried. It is also definite that it is going to destroy the stylus as one side has a flaked off patch in the middle. So, I am also happy to pay for the cost of this.

However, it might be that we skip the flaked off bits and read only the good parts.

Many tanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EpicenterBryan

Re: Needing help to transfer a disc

Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:55 pm

You might contact ELP in Japan and and see if they can point you to an archivist with one of their laser turntables.
http://elpj.com/

Also, you might want to look into finding someone who has the system Juraj Poliak designed. You will want to use google translate to read the links from here:
http://www.poliak.ch/

Let us know if you find someone who can do it. I have several discs of my father from WW2 when it was common to send recordings home. Unfortunately they have raised cracks and are on warped fiber base material. No chance to play them with conventional means.

sahib

Re: Needing help to transfer a disc

Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:31 am

Many thanks for that. I now have a better idea of what we have in hand. I will explore the contacts and let you know.