Steve's playback system #3: Tonearm?

Turntables, tonearms, preamps, amps, cables, monitor speakers. What do you use to play back your one-off dubplates or pressed records? (related topics, too.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

Steve's playback system #3: Tonearm?

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:05 pm

I would love to use my Presto 6N as my primary playback turntable, at least for now, as I am on a tight budget. It has a 12" balanced homemade tonearm created by its previous owner out of some sort of copper pipe (!), which I am finding tracks remarkably well, with as little distortion as I have encountered in any turntable of mine. There is no antiskating, so it is a little primitive, but honestly, it sounds great.

So....I'd like to upgrade the quality of the system over time, and I am fishing for suggestions in a series of threads.

3) Eventually, though, I will want to upgrade my tonearm to another 12" one that can play 16" records. Any suggestions? Which one has the most bang for the buck? Any decent 12" tonearms that won't leave me homeless? (12" is unusually long for a tonearm, and they tend to be expensive.)
Last edited by Steve E. on Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

markrob

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:38 pm

Hi Steve,

I'm in the same boat, execpt I have no tonearm on my 6N. I was considering making my own as all of the transcription tonearms seem to go for way more than I'm willing to spend. If I ever get around to doing this I'll post the results.

Mark