Steve's playback system #1: Presto 6N motor buzz

Turntables, tonearms, preamps, amps, cables, monitor speakers. What do you use to play back your one-off dubplates or pressed records? (related topics, too.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

Steve's playback system #1: Presto 6N motor buzz

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:57 pm

I would love to use my Presto 6N as my primary playback turntable, at least for now, as I am on a tight budget. It has a 12" balanced homemade tonearm created by its previous owner out of some sort of copper pipe (!), which I am finding tracks remarkably well, with as little distortion as I have encountered in any turntable of mine. There is no antiskating, so it is a little primitive, but honestly, it sounds great.

So....I'd like to upgrade the quality of the thing over time, and I am fishing for suggestions.

1) The biggest problem I am finding with the thing right now is electrical motor hum/buzz at 60 cycles and its harmonics. That is, the standard Stanton cartridge or wiring is actually picking up some electrical interference from the Bodine motor.

Has anyone run into this problem? What did you do to minimize the hum?

markrob

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:35 pm

Hi Steve,

Are you sure its electrical? My 6N transmits quite a bit of mechanical noise into the platter. It affects cutting as well as playback. Attacking that is on my "to do" list.

If the hum is electrical, you might be able to kill it with better grounding and shielding. That's always a bit of cut and try.

Mark

Steve E.
Site Admin

Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:45 am

Yes, I did tests....it is definitely electrical hum. Len Horowitz gave me a few things to try....when I have a little time I will try them out and post the results.

JayDC

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:58 am

wat did he tell you..
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P

Steve E.
Site Admin

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:28 am

I should probably check with him before posting....I dunno if these are trade secrets or anything....probably fine.

mratx

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:19 pm

As Markrob mentioned, improved/repaired grounding or additional shielding may be needed, but it might just be an issue of lead dress. It's possible the wiring from the tonearm may be picking up interference from the power lines or motor just based on its position, and you may be able to reduce or eliminate the hum by moving the position of the wires slightly within the turntable.

Mark