Arduino uno non wifi vs/ wifi version.

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Groovecutter

Arduino uno non wifi vs/ wifi version.

Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:31 pm

hey fellow lathe trolls!

im assembling gear needed to build a lathe, and am about to purchase an arduino uno to run the stepper motor/leadscrew and controller i have got, i am wondering this:

Do i need a Wifi one (the rev.3's are wifi i think?) to program arduino functions on my computer to drive my components on the lathe, or does it just make it a whole lot more easier with a library of commands etc with the wifi version, that you can just pick out and use? If it's just a case of something like that, should i just go with the non wifi version and program the specific commands, or find and download some library stuff...? as its cheaper for one of the other ones than the new WIFI ones. and im on a budget...
Sorry, if this is a stupid question, i did search the forums to try and find this answer but couldnt.
a little help will go a long way, and i will show my build once its a little further a long the way. thanks!

farmersplow

Re: Arduino uno non wifi vs/ wifi version.

Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:49 am

You don't need WiFi. A WiFi would only be necessary if you want to start and stop your device with your mobile phone, for example. But a simple push button switch is better for this! The Arduino Uno does not have the capability to control the spindle motor and the WiFi communication at the same time. Therefore better use the simple Arduino version without WiFi.

Greetings from Austria
Thomas

Groovecutter

Re: Arduino uno non wifi vs/ wifi version.

Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:53 pm

farmersplow wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:49 am
You don't need WiFi. A WiFi would only be necessary if you want to start and stop your device with your mobile phone, for example. But a simple push button switch is better for this! The Arduino Uno does not have the capability to control the spindle motor and the WiFi communication at the same time. Therefore better use the simple Arduino version without WiFi.

Greetings from Austria
Thomas
thankyou!! will Order a version without WIFI!