Finally cutting!!! home built machine and heads

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Naboo

Finally cutting!!! home built machine and heads

Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:42 pm

It's been a long journey getting this machine built. 3 years working on the heads, and another couple finishing off the rest...
Couldn't have done it without the help of a few quality threads here on LT

Here are a couple examples of some recent cuts - dub and dubstep is big here in NZ, cutting some rock music today and is sounding great also

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1eoSsUCeFZ4lER988HabBxhxzo6LsRvVR?usp=drive_link

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Naboo

Re: Finally cutting!!! home built machine and heads

Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:43 pm

NG V3 (112).jpg

Here are the heads

Anyone looking at building their own head or repairing a VR.. I've been asked a couple times and this is the best I found for surrounding the cones. Very elastic stuff!
Probably the secret as to why these work so well :wink:

https://www.mapei.com/nz/en/products-and-solutions/products/detail/mapeflex-pu-45-ft
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CutR

Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:15 am

Wow some nice work here, samples sounds good, I especially like that dubstep track, that kinda stuff is right up my street, who made that?
Any chance of some photos of your lathe and some more of the cutting head.

Naboo

Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:17 am

Cheers :mrgreen: The track is by Deadly Sub (Boris) who runs the DubColony label out of Switzerland
He's just put up a few vinyl releases, semi transparent coloured, looking awesome! I've got a release coming up with them later in the year :wink:

I've posted pics on here during the build and some people think anything similar to the VR is not ethical, despite Souri being almost impossible to buy from... yet VR style cutting heads are ok :roll: hahah
Anyway.. so it's based off a VR but built around a Technics SP15 in a custom birch ply plinth, uses an IGUS linear table, running dual motors with electromagnetic clutches