Starting up a Pierre Clement / Dual engraver from the 40s

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

gramophone totem

Starting up a Pierre Clement / Dual engraver from the 40s

Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:19 am

Hi everybody,
Sorry in advance if we ask a question that has already been answered to in another thread - maybe due to linguistic barrier (we are french) we will have missed it.
We have been, for a few years, performing in a mecano-acoustic band (Gramophone Totem), in which we use modified gramophones. We have recently acquired a Dual/Pierre Clément lathe platter from the forties. We have spent some hours looking for info on this machine but we have found none on the technical specifications for the amplifier we should use to make this work. Ideally, we would require the reference of an amplifier used at the time or its technical characteristics so we could then ask an electronically-competent friend to build the appropriate equipment...
Would somebody be able to give us a hand?
Thanks a lot, and musically yours,
Gramophone Totem.

kugelblitz

Re: Starting up a Pierre Clement / Dual engraver from the 40s

Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:11 am

Hey, i also have a dual/clement set up.
Although i am also new to this and still in an experimenting stage (i wonder of we got our machine from the same source, actually), i would be happy to exchange on my progress so far.

As far as your question about amps: I use a modern power-amp, for this you need to make (or buy) an impedance matching transformer, 'cause the head has too high impedance for modern amps.
I describe how i made mine in this thread:
https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9504&p=60636#p60636

If you prefer q'on parle francais, envoyez moi un message personelle :wink:

Ekdubwise

Re: Starting up a Pierre Clement / Dual engraver from the 40s

Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:24 am

Hi !
Im in a similar project, and im based in France also :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.