3d printable simple open source mono cutterhead

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Komysh

3d printable simple open source mono cutterhead

Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:41 pm

Hi guys. I want to make a simple but high quality open source cutting head.
so that every beginner can afford their first cutting head. to simplify the design, I want to make it mono. I have a 3D printer and a small cnc machine. but i would like to make it without using speakers. I have small powerful neodymium magnets and I want to wind a coil for them. tell me where to take an example and how to make a 3d model for printing? maybe someone can help?

Komysh

Re: 3d printable simple open source mono cutterhead

Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:05 pm

I guess I can take presto 1d as reference

jjwharris

Re: 3d printable simple open source mono cutterhead

Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:52 am

The Presto 1D design is quite tricky - there is quite a lot of tension in the design with the springs holding the armature, which can cause material to flex.

I ended up beefing up my aluminum back plate, because I noticed it was deforming. In hindsight it may have been a variety of other causes.

If I were to start my design again, I would be looking towards something closer to Fela's 'Not Presto' cutting head.

https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6775

It removes the need for the torsion springs, which can be difficult to construct and keep consistent.

The RCA-MI4887 is a reasonably simple cutting head, I managed to clone it with a 3d printed back plate, laser cut parts and a small amount of milling but making the armature can be difficult.
Record Lathe Embossing Supplies - http://www.supplies.johnnyelectric.co.nz/