Horizontal Lathe CNC into phonographer

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

farmersplow

Re: Horizontal Lathe CNC into phonographer

Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:55 pm

markrob is the best cooperation you could wish for in this project!

Sasasamb

Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:19 pm

I agree farmersplow :)

Dear Mark, I have proposed the project to the company and they seem very interested into the idea of creating this solid, metal sound archive. Even tho a little bit gramophone style they agree on the poetic endeavour.

Their engineers told me they may need to adapt your software to the machine they have.

I come here with some questions: how do you read the embossed plate? We are planning to build a “gramophone” for this. Is that correct? Will we need something like that? A stylus and a cone?

Is it correct to say that we are working on a vertical axis instead that an horizontal lathe?

I told them about the lathetrolls and about you Mark. For me it would be great to say that this project is possible thanks to Mark and this community. Would that be ok for you? Is there a way you commonly procede in this kind of situations?

I will update you tomorrow! Super thanks!

markrob

Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:05 pm

Hi,

See below for my simple 2 minute gramophone and a short vid of the playback. The quality is pretty bad, but I am sure you can tweak things to make it better.

As far as use and attribution, what you suggest is fine. It would be great if you could donate a small sum to The Lathe Trolls forum so that it can continue to be hosted. Steve, the Web Master of the the trolls, does this with no compensation as a labor of love. I'm sure anything you can contribute, would be most appreciated by him. When you have the final project completed, please consider posting the results here so that we can enjoy and learn.

My approach was to use a milling machine, but you could use a standard horizontal lathe as long as the headstock motor could be run very slowly or better yet as a stepper position controlled axis. Using the mill allows locked X/Y positioning. Not sure how easy that would be on a horizontal lathe.

Let me know if you need more help.
Simple Gramophone.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sasasamb

Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:36 pm

Thanks Mark! The fact that I see a plastic cup with a needle allows me to think that we can definitely work out something!

Let’s see tomorrow what happens.
And yes. I already donated as soon as I enrolled and I will for sure do it again :)

Just out of curiosity: do you also have the original audio file you injected into the software? Before embossing? To compare the final result with it. Thanks!

markrob

Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:05 pm

Hi,

See the attached zip that contains the original wav file and the raw mono 8bit 5Khz bin file that the program needs to see. The bin file was created from the wav file in Adobe Audition.
Recording.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sdt9030

Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:17 am

Hi All!

Been ages since I posted any thing here, but this thread caught my attention. I've managed to make some good progress in my goals to create new records that are playable on old Victrola's, so a number of the things I've used might be able to help in the OP's quest.

First a couple of links to some YouTube videos I made quite some time back showing what I could accomplish using a SnapMaker 2.0 3-in-1 3D printer/Laser engraver/CNC system. The first is a wooden record where the groove was cut using a very small radius endmill, and the second is a record made of a hard resin/paper combo where I used a spring-loaded diamond tip engraving tool to engrave the cut. Both used the same audio file as an input and both used a wooden "needle" for playback (either a bamboo shaft or a toothpick).

https://youtu.be/b6eFfij7n4E
https://youtu.be/_TGNXXnEcV4

In both cases, the track for the CNC groove was created from an image file (SVG). The image file was created by first converting a sound file (WAV) into a text file, which is converted to a spiral track in yet another program. The basic process was all laid out in an Instructable at the following location:

https://www.instructables.com/Laser-Cut-Record/

In the Instructable, the author was trying to develop a way of using a laser engraver to cut a music groove pattern. I adapted her process to my equipment and used the software that came with the SnapMaker to output the G-Code file. I sort of dropped the project after those videos were made, but just picked it back up again. After much fussing with additional attempts to use the diamond engraver, I've come full circle back to using the laser engraver on the SnapMaker because I think it will give me better results in the end. It's already giving me a better sound quality than I was getting with either of the other two approaches, and I've only been at it for a week or so.

I'll try to add more updates in the weeks to come, but the basic process of converting a sound file into a set of G-Code commands using the Instructable as a guide is pretty solid. The rest is "just engineering" ;) to make the G-Code work with your particular cutting machine/system.

SteveT