The farmer and his plow - When I set out to build a record cutter

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

farmersplow

Re: The farmer and his plow - When I set out to build a record cutter

Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:50 am

zdenek wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:27 am
How do you implement variable turntable slide travel and knife pressure with synchronization of the delayed audio signal?
What I mean is that the support has time to position itself in the right place before the sound so that the knife does not enter the adjacent recorded groove, as is done in German machines with the Studer A80 tape recorder, as it is done professionally, one head first gives the signal to servo of the head support mechanism and then about a second later, at 33rpm, the second reading head of the tape recorder sends a signal to the cutting head. What delay computer program do you use, or do you use a tape recorder with two reading heads?1280px-STUDER_A80_Master_2_Track_Recorder,_Mastering_Version.jpg
The pre-signal is (was) actually one of my challenges. I'll come to this topic later.
But to summarize briefly:
After I had ruled out using a Studer tape machine with two heads (too expensive, too rare and not up to date), I looked for alternatives. At first I wanted to use a digital delayer. But that was also too impractical for me. Instead, I play the digital music signal twice. With a time offset of half a turn of the record (about 1 second at 33 rpm). I then have stereo pre and stereo signal (and MIDI signals for control) via a MOTU M4 audio card. That works.

zdenek

Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:52 pm

I understand, so it is a strictly digital recording, but there is no output. I have a Philips tape recorder and I added a second head with preamplifiers, but there is a lot of noise from the tape recorder and the tapes themselves, I will have to give up this patent.
How are things and technological progress in general for you?

farmersplow

Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:23 am

zdenek wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:52 pm
I understand, so it is a strictly digital recording, but there is no output. I have a Philips tape recorder and I added a second head with preamplifiers, but there is a lot of noise from the tape recorder and the tapes themselves, I will have to give up this patent.
How are things and technological progress in general for you?
The recording of the record cutter is always purely analog! The built-in filters and equalizers are analog. The feedback compensation amplifier is also analog. It only becomes digital when the input signal is digital. But this does not have to be the case. One (my) solution for obtaining a pre-signal is to make the recording via a digital audio card. When using a Studer tape recorder (or others), everything remains analog. If you do without a pre-signal and thus do without variable groove spacing, you can also work with a normal analog signal.
The technical progress of my device is going well. Even if I have lost a lot of time in the last few weeks due to rebuilding the "workshop" and baking cookies.

farmersplow

Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:29 am

Test cuts with the FP-3 lathe (Farmers Plow Record Lathe No.3)
(05 2023)

Next I repeated the test again. However, I connected both driver coils with the same polarity (you should not do this because it is wrong as I already described on Oct 22, 2023). Nevertheless I wanted to know what happens.
Abbildung1.png

The cutting pattern then looks like this:
Groove spacing 200µm
Groove width 70µm
Silent cut
500Hz
1000Hz
2000Hz
m 2023_05 groove picture.jpg

It is interesting to note how the sound image changes:

With the same settings, the signal is slightly quieter overall. The main resonance increases from 700Hz to 800Hz. The resonances at 2kHz and 10kHz become relatively smaller. However, it also stops at 13kHz!
n 2023_05 groove picture.png

I then removed the driver coils again.
Abbildung3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

farmersplow

Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:31 am

Feedback coil test

Even though I will not close the feedback loop for this cutting signal line, I would still like to check how the feedback signal behaves with this cutting head.
I have carried out an initial test for this purpose:I generated a 1kHz sine wave signal via the audio card and amplified it with a peak-peak voltage of PPV=2V (+1v/-1V). This test signal was connected to both driver coils.
These voltages are displayed in YELLOW and BLUE on the oscilloscope.
I measured the feedback coil voltage via two further channels (GREEN and RED).
1kHz a.jpg
1kHz b.jpg

It is immediately noticeable that the signals from the left and right channels are different. I assume this is because my power amplifier has one potentiometer for the left channel and one for the right channel. These potentiometers have grid positions! Unfortunately different for each channel!!! I will solve this problem another time (by adding balance controls and installing stepless potentiometers).

The feedback signal also has different values. However, I think this has nothing to do with the amplifier but rather with inaccurate calibration (mounting - positioning) of the coils. I'll have to improve that!

When looking at the left channel, a feedback voltage of +/- 3.5mV (PPV 7mV) can be measured. This is sufficient to feed a feedback compensation amplifier.

But how does the feedback coil voltage behave when the frequency is increased to 2kHz and decreased to 500Hz?
And what happens to my signals if I only control one channel?

My next post will contain the resolution (you can already start thinking about it).

Greetings from Austria
Thomas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

farmersplow

Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:42 pm

Feedback coil test (part 2)

When increasing the frequency from 1kHz to 2kHz and the same PPV signal 2V, the feedback voltage decreases from ~7mV to ~4mV !
2kHz a.jpg

If the frequency is reduced from 1kHz to 500Hz and the same PPV signal 2V, the feedback voltage increases from ~7mV to ~8mV!
500Hz a.jpg

In the next test, I only applied a PPV signal 2V to one channel (left). The second channel (right) is not controlled.
Now I want to test how great the influence of the controlled channel is on the stationary channel. This can be measured via the feedback coils.

At 2kHz (PPV signal 2V) on the left channel, the feedback voltage of ~4mV can also be read! The feedback signal of the right channel remains (as hoped) at almost zero.
2kHz left_only.jpg

The same at 500Hz. A low feedback voltage of ~0.8mV can be seen here.
This influence from one channel to the other gets stronger and stronger as the frequency drops! There is no 100% channel separation here. But I am still satisfied with the result. A very good stereo effect can be clearly recognized from these measurements.
In the course of my development work, I've also used cutter heads that were only driven on one channel and still had an (almost) equally large deflection on both channels.
500Hz left_only.jpg

Best regards from Austria
Thomas

farmersplow

Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:10 pm

Further signal tests
05/2023

The more tests I do, the quieter the Silent-Cut becomes. I would now say that a new diamond needle that cuts PET-G has to cut for around 20-30 minutes to become quiet. This is already the case with the fifth needle. I have always done many tests, each lasting 1 to 5 minutes, always with small changes to the amplifier, volume, signal type, etc.
The only thing I didn't influence was the silent cut, which got better on its own.
Of course, changes to the rake angle, the VTA and the record blank temperature have a big influence on the basic noise. Nevertheless, the silent cut was always a little louder after changing the needle on a new diamond, only to become quieter again after a while.
This calmed me down a bit, because the first cutting attempt with this new cutterhead had a very loud silent cut. I had clamped a new diamond.

All these test cuts were carried out with IRIAA but without any other EQs.

SILENT CUT:
a 2023_05 Silent Cut.png

500 Hz:
b 2023_05 500Hz.png

1 kHz:
c 2023_05 1kHz.png

2 kHz:
d 2023_05 2kHz.png

Sweep 20Hz to 16kHz:
e 2023_05 20Hz - 16kHz.png

White Noise:
f 2023_05 White Noise.png

Over time, the test signals got better. Nevertheless, the noises up to 200Hz are too loud and the problem at 2kHz and 10kHz still exists:

Nevertheless, I decided to use a little EQ and cut a music signal.

Thomas

farmersplow

Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:30 pm

Further signal tests and music test
05/2023

May is drawing to a close and before I make any mechanical changes to the cutter head, I do a final signal test and cut some music. ...because I've actually been wanting to cut music again for months and not just plan, drill, mill and solder.

But first I do a test cut to see how loud I can cut without creating an "overcut". My settings are initially a fixed groove spacing of 150µm.
With these settings, an overcut can already be recognized at 500Hz:
a 2023_05 groove picture.jpg

So I reduced the level slightly and recorded the known test signals again.
The "brown" signals are old measurements, which I have also shown for comparison.
b 2023_05 silent cut.png
SILENT CUT
c 2023_05 500Hz.png
500Hz (with IRIAA; without EQ)
d 2023_05 Sweep 20Hz - 10kHz.png
Sweep 20Hz - 10kHz (with IRIAA; without EQ)
e 2023_05 White Noise 20Hz - 10kHz.png
White Noise 20Hz - 10kHz (with IRIAA; without EQ)

Music cut:

The signal was "smoothed" a little by EQ adjustments. The bass has been reduced slightly and the treble boosted. Of course, "extreme" signal distortions such as those present in this head in the 2kHz range cannot be eliminated.
Nevertheless, I finally wanted to cut some music.
Here is the first result:
2023_05_30 cutted test Music EQed.mp3
Cuttet Music Test (mp3)

It still sounds a little "tinny" and lacks dynamics. There is some clipping in places. This is mainly due to my poor mastering skills! The audio chain is also not yet good. Nevertheless, I'm not dissatisfied for the first attempt. But it can't be considered a finished head.
That's why I'm now making a few changes as an evolution. The modified Cutter-Head CH-7 follows!

Thomas

farmersplow

Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:01 pm

Cutterhead CH-7 (a small adjustment)
06/2023

I spent June changing a few things on the cutterhead. I left the housing the same. I removed and installed the torsion tube many times, added and removed various dampers and also played with the raked angle (the angle at which the cutting diamond stands on the record blank).
In this context, I not only created and analyzed a lot of test signals (again). I always carried out a change, measured it and then removed it again. This allowed me to determine which action led to which reaction.

As I don't want to go into every signal (boring), I'll show what caused a significant change.
When I replaced the V-spring (0.2mm) with a V-spring (0.3mm), there was a change in the cutting signal in the 10kHz range.

To deepen this experience, I mounted a 0.2mm and a 0.3mm V-spring on the torsion tube. I glued the two springs together to stiffen them.
20230618_144255.jpg

The changes in the 1800Hz range: A small improvement in the resonance signal (1900Hz), especially on the right channel (GREEN). The left channel got worse and worse in the course of the tests. As it turned out later during disassembly, an adhesive joint between the cone and the drive rod had proved to be faulty.

The changes in the 10,000Hz range: A change can be clearly seen here. I think that a change to the V-spring in terms of shape and material can improve a lot and I will concentrate on this.
a 2023_06 White Noise 20Hz - 18kHz.jpg

And this is how it sounds with music. In this recording I have (again) overdriven something! My urge for "loud" recordings is too great and I always fall into the same trap.

Seven music excerpts in nine minutes:
2023_06_22 cutted MusicMix2.mp3

And here are a few more pictures from the video (and the video) of my lathe at work:
cutting 01.jpg
cutting 02.jpg
cutting 03.jpg
cutting 04.jpg

VIDEO
20230622_132648 3M6.mp4

As I said, I had to dismantle the cutting head very often. In doing so, I noticed a few weak points. For example, I find it very difficult to remove the two screws that hold the V-spring. They are in contact with the iron plates that hold my feedback magnets and I also have to remove these plates first. If you have to do it once, it's not too bad. But after the tenth time, I hate the design.
In addition, the housing is too big and too heavy.
Screws from the V-spring holder.jpg

For this reason, I decided to develop a new, smaller and better thought-out (more service-friendly) housing. More on this later.
However, before I finalize the new enclosure, I must first achieve my goal with what I already have! A main resonance frequency of over 1kHz and a "smoother" white noise signal. Only then can I close the feedback loop with a clear conscience.
I need to further improve the cutting head to achieve this goal and I already have some ideas.
So I have started to develop the CH-8 cutting head, which will get some changes. But more on that next time.

Thomas

farmersplow

Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:55 pm

THE SECRET SOCIETY OF LATHE TROLLS

Hello trolls! The year is coming to an end and I think it's time to say thank you. Thank you for following this post so faithfully and showing your interest in record cutting.

But above all, thank you to those who make it possible for us all to share this knowledge and interest. This is not just about my contributions. It's about all the posts that many of you have shared and many more who have read these posts. I got a lot of my knowledge about dubbing record blanks from this forum. I imagined that if the forum didn't exist, most of the knowledge and attempts to cut, embedding and press records would not exist.
I only know the operators of this forum from their contributions, but they are doing a great job with this platform. I hope it stays great for a long time to come. Having worked for websites myself for a long time, I know how much work is involved in keeping this stuff running. There are also costs involved. I would be sad if such a great and unique platform were to close.
It's a market niche with no alternatives.
I know we are all not rich and probably never will be with this economic sector. But everyone can spare a few euros or dollars to support the continued existence of the platform (we get a lot in return).
So girls and boys, do it before Christmas (after that most people will be broke anyway).

Best wishes from Austria
Thomas

farmersplow

Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:30 pm

MIDI Controller
06/2023

At the end of June, I was once again visited by a lathe troll. A very nice acquaintance, by the way. He is a master cutter at an English record cutting plant. As a sound engineer, he also has a lot of experience in mastering. He immediately recognized my weaknesses in mastering and my audio chain. Using the internal audio card of my notebook for cutting and also mastering without FAB causes great loss of quality. He told me to buy various FabFilter plug-ins.
Of course I plan to do that. And I'm also going to buy a MOTU M4 audio interface. Until then, I'll carry on as before, as I still have to learn how to use these things.

The second point he brought to my attention was another challenge. As my lathe is controlled via a control panel, it already has major advantages over other systems. I can start the cutting cycle with buttons, create a "track marker" at the touch of a button (for the pause groove) and execute the "final line" at the touch of a button to automatically create the run-out groove to the end. The visitor's suggestion was to incorporate a MIDI control. Accordingly, the audio file should contain an additional MIDI track and when you play a note there (C or F or something like that), the lathe should do the same as if I were to press the key. So you can automate the recording.

I'll have to do some research on that, although I actually have enough other things to do!

This is how MIDI controlling works with Arduino:

In my search for how data transmission works, I found a very good site that answered all my questions:

https://www.instructables.com/Send-and-Receive-MIDI-with-Arduino/

Based on this information, I created the following circuit and the technical implementation:
MIDI schematic.jpg

The switch SW1A is necessary, otherwise it is not possible to program the Arduino as long as RX is connected to the photodarlington optocoupler. (The connection must be disconnected for programming).
The Arduino reads the MIDI signal and switches to high at the digital outputs as soon as the corresponding status is present:
If MIDI receives a "C", the digital outputs D2 and D5 are set to high. An LED is activated at D2 and the button on my lathe is activated at D5. And so on.
MIDI schematic diagram.jpg

If MIDI receives a "C", the track marker (pause groove) is activated.
If an "F" is received, the final line is executed.
The note "E" corresponds to the "ECHO" button on Neumann turntables and in my case means "Expand Groove". This increases the groove spacing for a short time. This prevents the influence of one groove on the neighboring groove during loud audio passages (already controlled in the audio file).

I then tried out the circuit on a small breadboard and then soldered it provisionally. What can I say, it works fantastically!
20230716_003652.jpg
20230716_213406.jpg
20230716_213949.jpg

The only disadvantage is that my breadboard is getting bigger and bigger! When I think that I have to convert all this into clean PCBs, I feel sick.
Breadboard.jpg

Greetings from Austria
Thomas

farmersplow

Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:32 am

Cutterhead CH-8 (Part-1)
07/2023

The test results of the last Cutterhead showed that the goal of a resonance frequency above 1000Hz was not achieved.
In order to achieve this goal, some drastic changes have to be made according to my previous experience. The moving parts must become stiffer and lighter! This includes the "spider" (membrane that holds the cone), the cone, the drive rod and the torsion bar. I also need to reduce the resonances in the 2kHz and 10kHz range. I am trying to achieve this by improving the V-spring and by damping.

One of my wishes is to make the cone and drive rod in one piece.
Cone.jpg

My first approach was to implement the plan by turning a tool. I put an aluminum plate on the front of the tool. The plate should then be pressed over the mold with a rod (while the lathe is turning).
My second approach was to clamp an aluminum tube over the tool. This tube should then be pressed over the mold with a rod (with the lathe turning).
Both attempts failed. I couldn't even bend the cone. Maybe it would still work if I used very thin aluminum to bend the cone, but adding the drive rod would never work.
20230628_113303.jpg
20230628_122117.jpg

I have to postpone the project until I have found a way to manufacture it.

So now I'm concentrating on making the moving parts lighter. To do this, I have to do some material research again. I'm comparing different materials and their weight.

1. drive rod materials:

All rods have a length of 30mm (1.17")

0.58g: Aluminum solid rod - diameter of 3mm (0.117")
0.21g: Aluminum tube with a wall thickness of 0.15mm (0.0586") - diameter of 3mm (0.117")
0.33g: Carbon solid rod - diameter of 3mm (0.117")
0.2g: Piano wire - diameter 1mm (0.39")

Interestingly, a piano wire (phosphor bronze wire) is just as heavy as the aluminum tube!
The carbon rod is also 50% heavier than the aluminum tube!
So my first approach to saving weight is to replace the carbon rod with an aluminum tube.
20230721_101603.jpg

2. cone materials:

All cones have a diameter of approx. 30mm (1.17")

7.00g: The original connection part of the resonance speaker (material thickness = 2mm; height = 6mm)
0.90g: Carbon cone (height = 13mm) material thickness = 1mm;
0.95g: Aluminum cone (height = 17mm) material thickness = 0.24mm;
0.23g: Aluminum cone (height = 15mm) material thickness = 0.08mm;

The original connection part of the resonance loudspeaker appears very light in the hand. Compared to the other cones, however, it is approx. 8 times heavier.
The carbon cone is very stable and could also be made a little thinner to save another 10-20% in weight.
The aluminum cone with 0.24mm wall thickness is also very stable and has about the same weight as the carbon cone.
The aluminum cone with 0.08mm wall thickness is by far the lightest, but not stable enough.
20230721_102832.jpg

3. material torsion tube:

My torsion tube had a weight of 1.01 grams up to now.

By further reducing the wall thickness to 0.18mm, the weight could be reduced by 25% to 0.78g.
Torsionsrohr1.jpg
Torsionsrohr2.jpg

4. material spider:

I made my last spider from anodized aluminium sheet with a material thickness of 0.08 mm. To make this area stiffer, I decided to use thicker aluminum. The weight will be slightly higher, but that doesn't matter for the spiders as they are firmly attached to the housing.
Unfortunately, the production was very difficult and required hundreds of trials with different materials.
Spider1.jpg

Small cracks repeatedly appeared in the membrane during pressing.
Spider2.jpg

The press mold was originally intended for the thinner aluminum foils and I often had to machine the mold and make small spacer rings to be able to produce two spiders without cracks.
Spider3.jpg

I then designed a new press mold and commissioned its manufacture. However, my friend with the precision CNC milling machine won't be able to deliver it for another month. I have therefore decided to try with the existing spiders for the time being.

Greetings from Austria
Thomas

rootz

Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:04 pm

Amazing project and amazing progress!
Perhaps you already know it, but just wanted to mention Max/Msp. It can control arduino, it can do standalone vst plugins and a lot of other useful things. Might also be a good solution for connecting the DAW with your controller, as it has way more options than midi notes. The newest version has also the ability to run on raspberry pi.
Good luck with your project!
Cheers
J

farmersplow wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:30 pm
MIDI Controller
06/2023

At the end of June, I was once again visited by a lathe troll. A very nice acquaintance, by the way. He is a master cutter at an English record cutting plant. As a sound engineer, he also has a lot of experience in mastering. He immediately recognized my weaknesses in mastering and my audio chain. Using the internal audio card of my notebook for cutting and also mastering without FAB causes great loss of quality. He told me to buy various FabFilter plug-ins.
Of course I plan to do that. And I'm also going to buy a MOTU M4 audio interface. Until then, I'll carry on as before, as I still have to learn how to use these things.

The second point he brought to my attention was another challenge. As my lathe is controlled via a control panel, it already has major advantages over other systems. I can start the cutting cycle with buttons, create a "track marker" at the touch of a button (for the pause groove) and execute the "final line" at the touch of a button to automatically create the run-out groove to the end. The visitor's suggestion was to incorporate a MIDI control. Accordingly, the audio file should contain an additional MIDI track and when you play a note there (C or F or something like that), the lathe should do the same as if I were to press the key. So you can automate the recording.

I'll have to do some research on that, although I actually have enough other things to do!

This is how MIDI controlling works with Arduino:

In my search for how data transmission works, I found a very good site that answered all my questions:

https://www.instructables.com/Send-and-Receive-MIDI-with-Arduino/

Based on this information, I created the following circuit and the technical implementation:

MIDI schematic.jpg

The switch SW1A is necessary, otherwise it is not possible to program the Arduino as long as RX is connected to the photodarlington optocoupler. (The connection must be disconnected for programming).
The Arduino reads the MIDI signal and switches to high at the digital outputs as soon as the corresponding status is present:
If MIDI receives a "C", the digital outputs D2 and D5 are set to high. An LED is activated at D2 and the button on my lathe is activated at D5. And so on.

MIDI schematic diagram.jpg

If MIDI receives a "C", the track marker (pause groove) is activated.
If an "F" is received, the final line is executed.
The note "E" corresponds to the "ECHO" button on Neumann turntables and in my case means "Expand Groove". This increases the groove spacing for a short time. This prevents the influence of one groove on the neighboring groove during loud audio passages (already controlled in the audio file).

I then tried out the circuit on a small breadboard and then soldered it provisionally. What can I say, it works fantastically!

20230716_003652.jpg

20230716_213406.jpg

20230716_213949.jpg

The only disadvantage is that my breadboard is getting bigger and bigger! When I think that I have to convert all this into clean PCBs, I feel sick.

Breadboard.jpg

Greetings from Austria
Thomas

farmersplow

Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:42 pm

rootz wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:04 pm
Amazing project and amazing progress!
Perhaps you already know it, but just wanted to mention Max/Msp. It can control arduino, it can do standalone vst plugins and a lot of other useful things. Might also be a good solution for connecting the DAW with your controller, as it has way more options than midi notes. The newest version has also the ability to run on raspberry pi.
Good luck with your project!
Hello "J", thank you very much for the information on Max/Msp. Even though I know a lot, I didn't know that! I immediately made myself smart and looked at what it can do. Another new world is opening up for me. At the moment I don't know where or how I can incorporate it into my project, but I'm sure I'll think of something.
Thank you very much!
Thomas

farmersplow

Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:29 pm

Cutterhead CH-8 (Part-2)
08/2023

I was able to produce two of the new spiders with the existing press tools. These are made of aircraft aluminum (AlZn5.5MgCu). This material is very hard aluminum and only slightly heavier than "normal" aluminum. However, since I used thicker material, the weight increases from ~ 0.3 grams to 0.5 grams. But as already mentioned, the weight plays a subordinate role with the spiders.
20230801_094955.jpg
20230801_095003.jpg

To further improve the quality of the cutterhead, I need stiffer and lighter cones. Since I haven't found another way to make them yet, I'm gluing them from the leftover aircraft aluminum. I am very happy with the weight of 0.36 grams (just the cone without the rod). The carbon cone weighed 0.90 grams!
By the way: The glued (finished) cone is lighter than the raw sheet because it was cut to size.
20230801_133635.jpg
20230803_114057.jpg

Gluing the cone itself and then to the drive rod was quite a challenge. But it worked in the end.
20230804_104046.jpg
20230804_211057.jpg
20230804_211132.jpg

The total weight is then 0.46 grams, which is very satisfactory for the size of the cone with a diameter of 30mm (1.18"). The driver speakers are quite large and require such large cones. I have often toyed with the idea of continuing development with smaller speakers. But experience has shown me that these little things go up in smoke so easily. These speakers have never melted (so far). That's why I'm sticking with the design.
I then glued the finished (and hardened) cones to the speakers and spiders (as always).
20230805_131544.jpg
20230808_103151.jpg

Unfortunately, the adhesive on one of the spiders has partially detached from the speaker and I had to repeat the whole process. All over again (new speaker, new spiders, new cones etc.). I was actually afraid that the adhesive joint between the cone and the drive rod would become a problem.
This time I sanded both the aluminum and the speaker to improve the adhesive bond.
Now the bond is holding very well and I can install the speakers in the cabinet.

Greetings from Austria
Thomas

farmersplow

Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:15 am

Merry Christmas

and all the best for you and your families

Thomas

farmersplow

Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:04 pm

Cutterhead CH-8 (Part-3)
08/2023

After I have already carried out the process "several times", the assembly goes quite quickly. For the next attempt, I did not install any feedback coils at first.

So I changed the following components to the last version:
  • Driver cone (aluminum spider)
  • Aluminum cone and aluminum driver tube
  • Torsion tube
  • V-spring
  • Damping elements over driver rods and torsion tube
This is what the modified cutting head now looks like (compared to its predecessor). The housing is still the same.
20230810_110504.jpg
20230810_113806.jpg

I am very curious to see whether the changes can achieve the expected goal. The main resonance frequency should be above 1000Hz and extreme resonance fluctuations should disappear.

So I immediately install the head in my machine and make a first test cut:

First I cut a white noise signal:
a 2023_08 White Noise 20Hz - 16kHz.jpg

Main resonance 1560Hz! I am satisfied and relieved at the same time. My hopes have been far exceeded with these changes. I also like the picture of the frequency band. Although the right channel (green) still has a small spike in the area of the main resonance, the left channel (red) shows a nice line. So the principle is correct. Obviously there are still flaws in the design of the right channel (perhaps one of the gluing points is not perfect).

The silent cut test also shows good results. A low, quiet "hum" can only be seen in the low-frequency range.
b 2023_08 Silent and Pink Noise 20Hz - 16kHz.jpg
The pink noise signal was recorded at maximum volume to maximize the resonances.

In the next test, a pink noise signal was used again (top image = target).
This time, in addition to the IRIAA, I also used a little equalizer for signal correction and recorded at maximum volume again.

All cuts were recorded without feed-back coils (open loop).
c 2023_08 EQ Pink Noise 20Hz - 16kHz.jpg

I'm already curious how it sounds with music. That will be next.

Greetings from Austria
Thomas

farmersplow

Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:18 am

Cutterhead CH-8 (Part-4)
08/2023

Cutting music today!
Unfortunately, I still haven't found the time to delve deeper into mastering. I have regularly failed in my attempts to keep the music signals in check. When I activate the IRIAA in the Cakewalk software, clipping occurs far too quickly. Either I record very quietly or I try to eliminate the clipping using limmiter. Either way, the result of the audio signal sounds distorted. I'm sure it works better with the FabFilter plug-ins, but I haven't installed them yet.
So I thought to myself, on a vinyl record all this work has already been done by good mastering.

So I did the following:
First, I played the records with my turntable and recorded the signal directly through my MOTU-M2 (audio interface) in the Cakewalk software (without RIAA equalization). This gives me the finished audio signal to cut in Cakewalk and I don't need to do any IRIAA EQ or mastering work.

Disadvantages:
Unfortunately, I still have to do some EQ adjustment for the cutting head in Cakewalk, which again degrades the perfect mastering. Also, the basic signal (used record) is not noise-free and has one or two quirks. The Pink Floyd record in particular is 30 years old.

No matter:
I cut anyway. Although I still use the internal audio card on my notebook for editing. So there's still plenty of potential for improvement.

Here are the first cutting attempts on the CH-8 with music:

AUDIO 1 : GREEN DAY (starts with a long silent cut)
Cutted GREEN DAY 20to16kHz CH8.mp3

AUDIO 2 : BILLIE EILISH
Cutted BILLIE EILISH 20to16kHz CH8.mp3

AUDIO 3 : PINK FLOYD
Cutted PINK FLOYD 20to16kHz CH8.mp3

Although I still need to make some improvements, I am already very satisfied. The recording of low to high frequencies is good. The stereo effect is very good. The sound is also good according to the audio chain. The quiet parts are also good.

I think that I have now reached a quality range where the quality of the file material (flac or wav versus mp3) and equipment (audio interface instead of notebook audio card) is already important. (Better equipment is always better, but if the recording quality is poor, even the best equipment is useless).

What do you think?

Greetings from AustriaThomas

tragwag

Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:09 pm

sounds awesome, congrats on the success!
curious what level you're cutting at?
I wonder if some of the frequency irregularities between each piece come from the overall volume level?
I can hear the drivers compressing and distorting a little differently on each sample
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

lulu

Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:18 pm

Your work and effort is awesome, lot of inspiration. The sound of the cut is well balanced although I can hear some distortion on esses and cymbals in the 4-6kHz range. I have the same problem that I am trying to fight with all sorts of dynamic EQing to get the cut louder, but my head is far from prefect. How loud are your cuts compared to pressed records? In the Green Day sample i can hear some wobbliness is your motor sruggling to keep the speed. I have this problem on the outer edge of 12" disc. That is my main mission now to think about new platter drive.

Keep it up!

Lu.