Making Record Blanks - Ideas & preferences

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Jurriaan

Making Record Blanks - Ideas & preferences

Mon May 02, 2022 4:09 pm

Hey Trolls,

So a few weeks ago I got my hands on an injection moulding machine that came with an old laserdisc matrix(!) and I've been thinking about making a few test runs of record blanks.

What are your criteria for a good record blank? The most common materials I see used is PVC, after that probably PETG or PC. What's your material of preference? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Lastly, let me know if you're interest in a sample! I will probably get around to it in a few months time.

Jurriaan

tragwag

Re: Making Record Blanks - Idea's & preferences

Thu May 05, 2022 5:22 pm

hey that's awesome! I've always thought injection molded blanks might work.
the plastic place I get sheets from has been up and down with flatness over the years, shipping and storage can kink plastic sheets easily it seems.

I use PETG and Polycarbonate blanks and would definitely be interested in a sample of either or both

.060 (~1.5mm) or .078 (~2mm) thickness, 9/32" center hole, entirely flat (no label or edge tapering)
that should be a good starting point
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Jurriaan

Sat May 07, 2022 12:46 pm

Thanks for the info!

What size of blank do you use most? I'm thinking of making a few 7 or 10 inch blanks on another machine.
ETA on the blanks is about 6 weeks. If you send me your address I'll ship the to you once they're ready!

Jurriaan

boryo

Mon May 09, 2022 6:23 am

Did you ever though about getting a stampers and make records instead of blanks?

Best,
Bob

Mart

Mon May 09, 2022 8:13 am

Dear Jurriaan,
I'm interested in your blanks as well. 7", same specs as tragwag mentions above here. 1,5mm would do for me.
mart

ps: regarding shipment: I'm in/close to Holland (somehow, your name suggests you're Dutch :)

Jurriaan

Mon May 09, 2022 12:30 pm

boryo wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 6:23 am
Did you ever though about getting a stampers and make records instead of blanks?

Best,
Bob
In the making 😁
It’s turning out harder than I initially thought. Very promising results so far but pressed quality injection moulded records still need some time to develop. This discussion deserves a topic on it’s own though.
Mart wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 8:13 am
Dear Jurriaan,
I'm interested in your blanks as well. 7", same specs as tragwag mentions above here. 1,5mm would do for me.
mart

ps: regarding shipment: I'm in/close to Holland (somehow, your name suggests you're Dutch :)
Je vermoeden klopt 😉
I‘ll keep you posted as to when they’re able to be delivered. If you’re ever near Zwolle let me know, pickup sure is a lot cheaper

Mart

Tue May 10, 2022 7:22 am

OK!

So now the joke about Zwolle would be appropriate :)
Any chance of a picture of an injection moulding machine doing blanks or records?

mart

tragwag

Tue May 10, 2022 4:51 pm

Jurriaan wrote:
Thanks for the info!

What size of blank do you use most? I'm thinking of making a few 7 or 10 inch blanks on another machine.
ETA on the blanks is about 6 weeks. If you send me your address I'll ship the to you once they're ready!

Jurriaan
awesome, I'll send a PM!
I do much more 7in than anything else, but the larger blanks made from sheets are more prone to warp so it would be cool to see if injection molding fixes this
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Jurriaan

Tue May 17, 2022 5:33 am

Mart wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:22 am
OK!

So now the joke about Zwolle would be appropriate :)
Any chance of a picture of an injection moulding machine doing blanks or records?

mart
Hahaha nice one
I'll provide a few pictures when starting the topic! Anything in particular you'd like to see? Obviously won't take pictures of everything but we can always see how it goes.
tragwag wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 4:51 pm
Jurriaan wrote:
Thanks for the info!

Jurriaan
awesome, I'll send a PM!
I do much more 7in than anything else, but the larger blanks made from sheets are more prone to warp so it would be cool to see if injection molding fixes this
Thanks for the PM!

Jurriaan

Tue May 17, 2022 5:34 am

I made a few test runs of 7'' inches on the smaller machine and will ship out some samples next week

Jurriaan

Re: Making Record Blanks - Ideas & preferences

Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:55 am

Made some great progress over the last couple weeks. Here's a video of the results: https://youtu.be/H155l7Vjrp4

Thanks to tragwag, Mart and dubcutter89 for trying out the first batch of samples, looking forward to you experience with them!

nikc

Re: Making Record Blanks - Ideas & preferences

Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:07 pm

Hello.
This sounds great!
It'd be great to hear the results or your reviews of them.
Best
Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records