Stereo lathe build. CNC engraver chassis, custom cutting head.

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Liam walker 82

Stereo lathe build. CNC engraver chassis, custom cutting head.

Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:33 pm

Greetings,
I am planning a lathe build to facilitate cutting some live sessions straight to vinyl in my studio. I am hoping to provide a facility where I can record live sessions using a totally analog signal chain onto a vinyl record. From microphone diaphragm to your stylus at home. Totally analog.
I already possess some very rare ex bbc Calrec consoles which are fantastic along with lots of vintage mics and outboard gear.
Compressors and limiters.
I can output a stereo signal which I will send straight to the lathe located in a separate room downstairs.
After much research I have come to the conclusion that I will have to build my own. After looking at the Kingston and vinyl recorder I started to wonder if it would be possible to build a lathe using a 1210 style turntable and a cnc engraver with a cutting head mounted to it.
The engraver would only be used to move the cutter across the disc and could be upgraded and customised to run smoothly and accurate enough to control the grooves per inch.
I have some really nice studer tape machine motors and I have a friend that runs an extremely well equipped engineering firm who can help. I also have an electronics technician who repairs my vintage studio gear who is keen to help.
My question is has anyone tried to use an engraver chassis with a cutting head?
I know this is going to be a very long, expensive trail and error process. I’m just putting the foundations in for pre production.
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.