Stereo cutting lathe build.

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Liam walker 82

Stereo cutting lathe build.

Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:15 am

Hi all, I’m planning the lengthy costly process of building a lathe.
I’m currently sourcing parts and have a studer tape machine dc motor. I’d like some thoughts on wether I could use it to drive the turn table directly which will be a billet aluminium construction.

markrob

Re: Stereo cutting lathe build.

Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:32 am

If its a capstan motor, I would think not. Probably too wimpy in terms of torque and too fast in terms of RPM. You want a high pole count BLDC motor of maybe 100 Watts or more that is capable of running at the low RPM's you need If you go direct drive. Is this a hobby project or are you going for a lathe with pro specs?

Mark

Liam walker 82

Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:38 pm

Hi Mark,
Thank you for your reply.
It is a pro spec build.
I am starting totally from scratch. I was thinking about using a cnc engraver with upgraded custom parts that will have a cutting head mounted to it. I’ve seen folks using them to try and cut to vinyl but never one specifically used to mount a cutting head to.
I have a client who has a fantastic engineering firm that manufacture aircraft parts. I have full use of there facilities and staff. I also have the help of my electronic service engineer who maintains my studio equipment. ItS just a case of gathering parts and engineering the head etc etc.
It will most probably be similar to the vinyl recorder but with its own turntable.

Radardoug

Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:36 pm

Reinventing the wheel from scratch is VERY expensive. Why not stand on the shoulders of the previous giants, and buy a lathe already built?

farmersplow

Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:29 pm

I've been working on a project like this for over 3,500 hours. Even though I'm certainly more than 50% done, I still don't see any light at the end of the tunnel.
A lot is much easier than it seems and in the end everything is much more difficult than it seems. Every time I think I've solved a problem and answered another question, ten new questions and problems immediately arise.

I see a project like this using the 80/20 rule. In the first year I managed to build a device that achieves 80% quality. 80% sound quality isn't even radio quality - it's more phone quality. According to the 80/20 rule, I have 20% of the time behind me.

In short: in 20% of the project time you create 80% (sound) quality. You need additional 80% of time to get nearly the rest oft 15% quality. (95% is what you can get - or you are head of Toshiba and his possibilities)
So I need another 3-4 years to get to 95%.

So don't make the same mistake I did and underestimate the complexity of a record cutter.
On the other hand, I invested these 3,500 hours last year and haven't lost heart yet. My Natutell tells me to keep going until it's done - even if it's another five years (which I hope not).
But you have already taken the first step and written about the "planning the lengthy costly process" in your report.
Have fun and persevere!

Greetings from Austria
Thomas

MEGAMIKE

Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:55 pm

there are no hours in love making..I understand if you have mouths to feed or want to become an industrialist but building your own lathe, head ,curve, software etc is probably the best thing you would every do in your life..
it took me years to go hey it works and works well and I made it myself and without some cloud/clown/demons :twisted: whatever over your head saying it will not..and iam not talking about anything here or anybody its just a fact that we humans once something won't work we give-up..

..so go cut that Kate bush song and keep on building..

Liam walker 82

Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:56 am

So I have now purchased a lathe with no cutting head.
So the next step is to find or build my own head.
I think the advice of saving time and money buying a lathe is the best way forward. An already build lathe would be easier to improve than starting from scratch.
I’ll keep you posted!