Pictures in sound: introducing Vinyl Draw

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Re: Pictures in sound: introducing Vinyl Draw

Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:13 pm

Haha, no you're the genius by far David!
I downloaded the software last night to play around with it. I can process a track just fine, but the Start and End settings only manipulate the Red circle for some reason?? Am I missing something? I figured the green circle was the start and red the end...
I'll look thru the comments/notes to see if I missed an update or something.

pentlandsound

Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:31 pm

HI,
The green circle does not move - this is by design. The outer edge of your inscribed image will always be at the green circle, no matter what size you set it to. Moving the Start and End radius sliders moves the red inner circle only, and its size relative to the green one will depend on the start and end radii selected.

For example, for a single-sized image, you'd probably want the start radius as 8,75 cm (3.44 in.) and the end radius as 5.3 cm (2.09 in.). For an LP-sized image, the start radius should be, say, 14.75 cm (5.81 in.) and the end radius perhaps 5.8 cm (2.28 in.)

Hope this helps!

markrob

Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:55 pm

On my modified version of David's code, both the start and end points are variable and are indicated in the preview window. This allows you to crop the image as needed. A BMP file can relate to actual print size and that info is used to populate the radius dimensions of the two sliders. If you scale your BMP to the blank size, the numbers will correspond to the actual physical blank. However. its really not necessary to do that as the two sliders along with the LPI setting and speed, determine the total cutting time. The WAV file that is created will last for the shown time and as long and as your actual lathe settings allow the time duration to be cut on the disc, you will be fine. The cutting speed must match the program setting, but your actual LPI and starting cut radius can be whatever you like as long as you can fit the WAV file time length on you disc. That said, it may be easier to make sure you image relates to the cutting blank size to keep things straight. You could probably make some BMP template files for 7, 10 an 12" disks that have active image zones shown so that you can make sure things fit properly.

Mark

tape

Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:10 pm

great stuff!

tape

Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:11 pm

an idea: would it be possible to superimpose drawings upon audio? if the drawing is very shallow...

markrob

Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:20 pm

Hi,

Don't think that would be easily doable. The audio that is generated is pretty much right in the range of any music. It would be hard to have it co-exist with the wanted audio without any crosstalk. The graphics audio is not much fun to listen to.

Mark

tape

Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:53 am

ok!