Stereo Cutting Head - based on Grooveguys design

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

markrob

Re: Stereo Cutting Head - based on Grooveguys design

Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:10 am

Mr. Inventor,

Sounds like you have it all worked out. Have at it and let's see what you come up with.

Mark

dmills

Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:12 am

Now Mark, play nice...
Mr Inventor, sit down and do the maths, it is revealing as to just how hard some of this stuff is. Also, grab the AES Disk cutting anthologies, a few hours in a library can save you weeks in the lab.

While it is true that we have some better materials today (Magnetics being a big one, also computation which gets you fun things like coreless BLDC motors), it is also true that back in the day there was effectively infinite money behind cutting a better record. Having everything hardened and ground was doable, custom grey cast iron assemblies, doable.... That sort of thing makes a difference.

Have fun, but expect this to be way harder then it looks.

markrob

Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:05 pm

Hi Everybody,

Sorry about that! Just rubbed me the wrong way. Definitely get the AES papers to start.

BTW, some here have done pitch controllers using an Arduino, so its not impossible. IIRC, the original Zuma was done on an S100 based computer. The ATMega2560 is probably on par with that hardware. I think they had quite a bit of external hardware to assist the CPU. If you are planning to make the next Neumann, I think you will want to throw more MIPS/FLOPS at the problem given how little that costs today.

Mark

dmills

Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:54 pm

Yea pitch (And depth, actually more important!) are way easier when you can just throw RAM and CPU at it. Something like a STM32F7 feels like a good spot for this (But you try getting one!).
I would think that on a low end the preview->displacement filter would probably be hardware (At most basic, IRIAA plus an integrator, but there are cleaner approaches), and some of the groove snuggling stuff from the VMS80 might get rather approximate.

The VMS80 (Circuits are out there) is a fascinating example of what is doable without any CPU (in the modern sense) at all, they just used an infinite quantity of 4000 series cmos.

Dogtemple

Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:14 am

as someone who is restoring a lathe and having to build a lot from scratch, I can echo what has been said here already, these things are simple in principle but in practice there are a lot of nuances and they're actually pretty complex despite how they first appear.

its relatively easy task to make something that works to a degree but to make them really really good takes a lot of precision and knowledge, and that part is difficult. I think theres a reason why the gakken record maker is £100 and the other options are loads of cash or don't really exist to buy any longer...

I've been reading solidly on the subject for over a year now and keep discovering more that needs to be kept in mind. and I'm sure when I have put all this in to practice it won't work and will need lots of tuning to get just right.

dmills

Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:09 am

That's about the truth of it.

'Sort of works' is easy, for shits I tried cutting with a disk held in a mandrill in my Hardinge HLV-H and a cutting head mounted on the cross slide... It sort of worked.
Reliably making a commercial sounding record is MUCH harder.

Realise that the noise floor implies cutting way down below the wavelength of visible light.