Cutterhead V-spring thickness

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

ilovedrums247

Cutterhead V-spring thickness

Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:15 am

Hello Everyone,
I'm in the process of making a cutterhead and was wondering what thickness of aluminium sheet to use for a "V" spring.

Easy options for store bought are .3mm and up. Will that be thin enough?

Thanks
Matt

Soulbear

Re: Cutterhead V-spring thickness

Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:18 pm

Hi Matt,
Does it have to be aluminum?? I only ask because sifis used 1mm PLA Plastic for his "V Spring" on his "Brother Singer Head" https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6959
Its only a few posts down, Why not take a look :wink: :wink:
Might be easier to Cut/Fabricate your own V Springs from this material too!! 8) 8)
Regards Soulbear :P :) :D

ilovedrums247

Re: Cutterhead V-spring thickness

Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:00 am

Hey Soulbear, thanks for your response. I have seen that one and their use of plastic is impressive.

The reasons for using Aluminium are its longevity and weight. Cutting and fabricating it are also not a problem.

I've ordered the sheet so we'll see (hopefully soon) if it'll work out. Still designing the suspension system for the cutterhead and once that's finished will start assembly.

When the time comes i'll make a seperate, dedicated post with pictures and audio. thanks