Laser Cut Record

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Oldskoolhousehead

Laser Cut Record

Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:36 am

Hello all. I've been searching for the above mentioned subject for a couple of years, and I have found this project on instructables.com. My question is, has someone in the community ever tried that technique? If so, what was the result? Thank you for reading.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Laser-Cut-Record-version/

circitfied

Re: Laser Cut Record

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:56 am

Hi,
I had a project student try using the source code for an entire summer. They didn't have much success, I don't know whether this was down to the student or the source code.

From reading the work by Amanda Ghassaei on instructables on 3D printing and laser cutting and comparing it to the HD vinyl patent by Loibl you will see a distinct relationship. I hope you enjoy comparing the two. I would wonder if you presented the work by Ghassaei in court whether the Loibl patent would stand up.

Oldskoolhousehead

Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:34 pm

Thanks for your input. If I remember correctly Ghassei's project predated HD Vinyl way before, and I don't know if the Austrian Company was "inspired" by Ghassei's work or not. However, vinyl production must go to the next level at some point (at least that's how I feel about it). The Apollo disaster proved that. Regarding the work of the Japanese guys, I want to give it a try, but an important part of the software combination has been missing and I couldn't get a feedback from those guys for months.
(Oldskoolhousehead, a vinyl junkie from Turkey)

trailerparkjesus

Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:01 am

Oldskoolhousehead wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:34 pm
However, vinyl production must go to the next level at some point (at least that's how I feel about it). The Apollo disaster proved that.
yes we must move forward... there must be a format we can make with blank discs and lasers that don't crackle and pop or wear down with usage..... :P