Variable Groove Controller Plugin

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

paulo32

Re: Variable Groove Controller Plugin

Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:23 am

Greetings !!
After a lot of work i can give you a sneak preview of what will be released in a few weeks, here are some pics of the new user interface.

Another great feature i'm working on is the implementation of curves display, it show you in real time an estimation of the theoretical acceleration of the stylus, displacement, groove angles and groove radius, lateral and vertical... and tell you whenever you are reaching one of the limitation.. for example it will tell you if your curvature is below elliptical tip radius or spherical tip radius and therefore if it will be playable without too much distortion... Same for the groove angles it can tell you if your angles are too high.. Really useful feature for being able to anticipate what will be recordable and playable without problem.

For the price the basic system (which will include all features i have listed above on my last post, including the variable pitch algorithm) will be around 2500euro
I'm planning to start taking preorders in 2 weeks from now, all orders taken before the 1 of June will have 20% discount, making the price of the basic system 2000euros. That's for your support. I'll post the link of the new shop in 2 weeks for people to start ordering..

Many thanks
Sound Engineer & Founder @ SawaSounD Studio
Producer @ Sweet Waters Music
https://www.sweetwatersrecords.com/

boryo

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:44 am

Looks great! I saw stylus heating. Can you give some more info how all this works? Do you escape the VR's main unit?

Best,
Bob

paulo32

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:53 am

It's almost straightforward to use once your system is well calibrated:

There is two main modes, manual pitch and variable pitch mode that can be switched even when in cut.
When starting a new cut, you first choose the size of the vinyl and the RPM on the setup menu, once you have chosen those values you can adjust the land width & groove width if you plan to use the variable pitch. If you want to stay in manual pitch, you can adjust the pitch (in LPI or in µm), accordingly to the pitch you choose and the number of tunes by side there is, it tells you the maximum duration of your vinyl so that you can choose your pitch more easily.

Once you have setup the size, rpm and pitch, you can go to the navigation page. In the navigation page you can do all the "offline" moves you may want to do. If you choose pos1 for example, the cutting head will move to the exact beginning of the vinyl (accordingly to the vinyl size you have chosen).
Once you are ready to cut and your cutting head is at the right place, if you have the relays extension, you can press the "Arm" button that will sequentially power up your vacuum suction unit, and then after few seconds (for current stabilisation) it will power up your amplifier (Unarm does the same in the invert way). After that you can press START. you then put the cutting head down , power up the stylus heating (on souri's main unit or with the relays if you have the relays extension). Then you press Lead-In, it will make the lead-in groove and it will switch at the right position (everything is accordingly to RIAA dimensional standards) and go to the target pitch you have chosen if you are in manual pitch or variable pitch accordingly to the preview signal. Then after each song end you just have to click on crossover to do the crossover groove, if you are in manual mode, the crossover duration has been integrated in the pitch calculation. In variable pitch, crossover duration are taken into account for calculating more precisely the rest time.
When the actual diameter goes after the lead-in max position, the Lead-in button will become Lead-Out button and you can click it at any moment to finish your vinyl and it will stop at the exact position and do the concentric groove before you put you cutting head up. Then you can press the Unarm button. Switching side is done in one click and so you keep your settings . You don't need to worry about positioning your cutting head again, it is done automatically in a single button press.
The VR's main unit is just used for the stylus heating and that's because i didn't took time to design a stylus heating unit..
Concerning the RIAA unit inside the VR's main unit it was causing too much distortion and cutting all trebles of the cutting head, i rediscovered my cutting head when i bypassed souri's RIAA unit. I will post some resources to explain that more in details.

mrmoo

Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:59 pm

Concerning the RIAA unit inside the VR's main unit it was causing too much distortion and cutting all trebles of the cutting head
How about sourcing that part out onto a Teensyduino. They are pretty powerfull DSP's for §20. Maybe your software offers just the interface and send only modeswitch commands via usb to the teensy and this toy does the rest?

paulo32

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:33 pm

digital RIAA is already implemented inside the GM-1 CPU, you can choose in the settings either you want him to apply RIAA eq to the SPDIF input or not (to permit adaptation in any case, you can that way supply preview signal PRE-RIAA or POST-RIAA)

David34

Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:30 am

Is this unit available?I will PM also

paulo32

Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:38 am

Yes GM-1 is available for order, first units already shipped, website is on the way

petermontg

Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:54 pm

Nice unit and great work. Do you think it could be made compatible with say the likes of scully or some neumannn models.

Best
Pete
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

misjah

Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:00 am

looks good. would be a shame only to be able to use with T560.

petermontg

Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:02 am

If its relay based I cant see much of an issue. I have an old LS76 here with no cpu, if possible it could be a nice option.
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

paulo32

Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:07 pm

This is in my plans, but I have to do tests on those units to check all details as i did on the T560..

Redhousc

Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:43 pm

paulo32 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:38 am
Yes GM-1 is available for order, first units already shipped, website is on the way
Hi,
Is there any news on the website to buy this?

David34

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:25 am

Is this the unit that is $4k?

Redhousc

Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:56 pm

David34 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:25 am
Is this the unit that is $4k?
I believe he’s working on an upgrade (the variable groove controller) for the $4k unit (T560)

farmersplow

Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:02 pm

Great job!

I know how much work this is (I have done nearly the same with Microcontroler but with seperate displays and touch buttons).
Bild1.png
Air suction control in progress..

Your "future" with:
"Another great feature i'm working on is the implementation of curves display, it show you in real time an estimation of the theoretical acceleration of the stylus, displacement, groove angles and groove radius, lateral and vertical... and tell you whenever you are reaching one of the limitation.. for example it will tell you if your curvature is below elliptical tip radius or spherical tip radius and therefore if it will be playable without too much distortion... Same for the groove angles it can tell you if your angles are too high.. Really useful feature for being able to anticipate what will be recordable and playable without problem."

...this will be an very innovative support. - Also great job!

My question about this: is the device able to process the music for the filler writing method? Or is that not part of this already excellent control?

Greetings and keep it up!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

paulo32

Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:20 am

Thank you for your support, also great job too !!!
Yes for sure we agree it is a lot of work..
Concerning your question, I'm currently not planning to implement physical music output connectors to the controller but we never know ;))

paulo32

Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:23 am

Also I finally had some time to finish the website, everything is up and running, you may check additional informations on the GM1 System here:
https://sawasoundengineering.com/product/gm1/

David34

Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 pm

paulo32 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:23 am
Also I finally had some time to finish the website, everything is up and running, you may check additional informations on the GM1 System here:
https://sawasoundengineering.com/product/gm1/
Please can you PM me with costs to Australia?