Color blanks?

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

professorb

Color blanks?

Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:41 pm

It seems like white, clear, and black blanks are the lathe cut standard. I see Diamond Cutting Stylus carries some colors. Are there other vendors out there supplying color blanks?

I have access to both a laser cutter and a CNC flatbed router... even if the source material came in rectangular sheets, I could get it cut down... I just am not sure what material would be best or where you'd get it.

Is there a way to dye or otherwise affect the color of the white blanks without adversely affecting the cutting or sound?

okpanda

Re: Color blanks?

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:22 pm

myshank is the only source i know of for colored blanks. you could have pressed blanks made i guess but ymmv with cutting those.

in terms of laser cutting - there are many things to take into consideration. for example, pvc can not be laser cut, so you would need to use a different type of plastic. plastics must be specially formulated for our purposes, ie 'off the shelf' plastics often have additives that make cutting more difficult or impossible. you might be able to find someone willing to make a custom batch for you, but you usually have to be prepared to order a literal ton (ie 2000 lbs) or more at a time before they will even talk to you.

pvc is widely considered the best material but it can not be laser cut. i believe polycarbonate can be laser cut (somebody correct me please if i am wrong), but it is not considered the best material. either way, you're not likely to find colors unless you're willing to order ALOT. my guess is that myshank either has the resources to buy plastics in greater bulk than most of the rest of us, or has devised his own way to tint clear blanks, as a few people around here have insinuated.

professorb

Re: Color blanks?

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:46 pm

Thanks, that's some helpful insight. I've heard some people use PETG, but it looks like it too also only comes in clear as a standard color unless you custom order 2,000 lbs of it.