OPCODE 1-E Mono Cutterhead (Presto 1-D Clone)

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

OPCODE 1-E Mono Cutterhead (Presto 1-D Clone)

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:14 am

Seven days ago on 1-30-2019 I had the idea to clone a Presto 1-D cutterhead. Seemed like something fun and quick to do since I’m so familiar with them now. It was quick. Frustrating, but quick. And, the results thus far are astounding.

Its a 3d printed plastic body with the dimensions of a Presto 1-D. I used all standard Imperial sizes for the screws, including set screws. No unusual sizes and threadings as the original Presto heads. Cloned armature and springs. No damper required. Neodymium magnets with half plastic half steel pole pieces. Louder than a 1-D with a greatly extended range. CNC machined terminal block with nickel plated terminals. My world famous coil clones. I think the price will be $500 or less. Need to get a bunch of armatures made and then I can set a final price!

If you have a Presto 6N in Los Angeles, please contact me. I need to have someone do test cut with me and verify the results. I'll shoot video and post it here.

Some back story... if you aren't aware I've been doing full cutterhead rebuilds for about three years now. I've fully rebuilt close to 250 heads now, most of them Presto's. So, this design is part of my dna at this point. Making this clone was lemon squeezy.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

KNOP

Re: OPCODE 1-E Mono Cutterhead (Presto 1-D Clone)

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:32 am

Wow quite exciting. Can't help you out with your request but looks like you made a pretty awesome mono cutterhead :) When you are ready testing I would love to hear a recording of the Opcode 1-E in action :)

handcut

Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:31 pm

This is so cool. Go Todd! Can't wait to hear those test cuts. If you can churn these out for sub $500 I think you're going to sell a lot of them! At this point there must be very few people alive who know the 1-D as well as you do.

opcode66

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:09 am

@handcut - I think that will be a reasonable price. Just depends on how much a lot of armatures comes out to. I don't plan to make those myself. Not worth the effort and not setup to cast or precision grind like that.

@KNOP - I appreciate the enthusiasm. Thanks! I've also made a fairly impressive stereo feedback cutterhead which is actually smaller than Neumann in two of three dimensions. I will naturally be posting test cut and video as I have for several years now. Did you follow my Project Bladerunner and now Mantra V2 work?

I think it best that I cut on the same hardware as my expected clientele. And, I would like for external verification of this innovative offering. Seems appropriate. I don't like to "work in secret" or post claims that can't be verified outside of demonstration videos or "lab reports".

I'm designing my own lathe system as well. But, in the meantime, I have this old thing lying around I can test cut on :-) Not sure if its any good or not...
Charlotte.jpg
I made this attachment to hang a Presto.
Presto Neumann Mount 1.png
Presto Neumann Mount 2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

mrd

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:02 am

Amazing work! Looking forward to the tests and the price confirmation.

opcode66

Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:43 pm

I will keep you all updated in realtime. I actually had an idea last night about how I can machine the armatures from mostly brass with a steel part attached. Going to try making one today.

opcode66

Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:09 am

I spent the day sorting out how to grind the steel component of the hybrid material armature. Since I don't need a damper, I'm free to take liberties with the overall design of the armature. So, the OPCODE 1-E will have an armature that will not look exactly like the originals. But, it won't require casting to make. And the steel component I can grind in house or have made easily. I should have a hybrid prototype armature in a a second OPCODE 1-E build tomorrow. I will post results directly.

opcode66

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:33 am

Here's how to socket out a set screw with a 1.1mm end mill. I actually do all my own machining and am happy to show you how its done!

opcode66

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:39 am

Evolved Hybrid Presto Armature

The initial cad, cam and machining of an evolved hybrid material Presto Armature Clone is now finished. I still need to add the V slot, drill the holes, and tap the threads for the stylus screw. But, otherwise, this is a viable part combined with the precision ground steel cross bar. More soon!

The entire armature need not be steel. And, since I don't need a damper, I don't need a round top either. This is the evolution of the mono cutterhead.

opcode66

Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:36 am

Presto Bench Test Rig Video or How to Avoid Sniping

I've taken a fair amount of heat from folks about the red solo cup. So, here's an in depth explanation of why I used a plastic cup to do bench tests on cutterheads that I either repair or build. Why this was ok, but not ideal. How the Presto Mono Cutterhead works. What can be used instead. And, the solution I came up with to replace the cup.

opcode66

Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:29 pm

If testing goes well this weekend I'll be offering Neodymium Magnet Upgrades for regular Presto 1-B, 1-C, 1-D cutterheads. These parts replace the existing pole piece and horseshoe magnet. They will significantly increase both cutting level and overall range. Stay tuned for further video update with clearly lit and filmed demonstrations of this innovation. No "lab reports" here!

opcode66

Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:53 am

I've built out two of my universal Neodymium Magnet/Pole Piece combo. They are 3d printed plastic, steel inserts and neodymium magnets of standard sizes. They will fit original Presto cutterheads as well as my OPCODE 1-E cuttehread. Readings using a digital Gauss meter are showing double the strength of the original magnet/laminated steel pole pieces. These are also stronger than the ones in my first OPCODE 1-E build. So, things should be louder and even more clear in my second clone build.

opcode66

Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:46 am

Presto Armature Clone Nearly Finished! Hybrid Aluminum/Steel evolved armature. You see the steel crossbar which will hold the cutting stylus is not fully stuffed into this slightly imperfect part. Next attempt should be a winner! No holes drilled in these pictures. They will come. Also, when I've finalized the machining operations I'll make the part in Brass not Aluminum. The Brass will be Nickel Plated with the Steel.
Photo Feb 18, 3 00 35 AM.jpg
Photo Feb 18, 2 58 04 AM.jpg
Also, this meme wins the Internet...
51608034_10215086326926478_4384733693034364928_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

opcode66

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:22 am

A while back I started a complete overhaul of my RCA Portable Lathe. I cleared out the wood box, fixed it up, painted and clear coated it. I also stripped out all of the gear work under the turntable. Then, this sat on a shelf for years...

Since I can't find a local Presto 6N to test my OPCODE 1-E cutterhead on, I decided to finished my RCA rebuild. I started these drawings five days ago. This is the current assembled mockup. I'll be able to use all of these lathe parts for many types of lathes. And, I can make a larger version of the suspension if I want as well.

This build will have a BLDC Platter Motor belt driven with a hidden gear reduction. DC Feedback Overhead Motor with part hidden part exposed Gear Reduction and belts. Overhead Sides made from Walnut with inset Aluminum Plate cover panels. Overhead Sled with vertical adjustment knob and horizontal adjustment T Slot track. Suspension Box (based entirely on Neumann but smaller) with switchblade head release button, head lowering lever, dc current solenoid for analog depth control, and mini patch panel. The Suspension Box can be raised/lowered via the Sled knob, and moved forward/back on the T slot track on the Sled. This allows for many types of cutterheads to be hung on this system. A microcontroller will be used to control and automate all aspects of cutting. There will even be a microswitch installed in the overhead for a rewind stop mechanism, as well as a solenoid in the suspension for automatic head release. I've already started printing the suspension box and sled! I'll machine the rods and overhead sides this week/weekend.
RCA 1.png
RCA 2.png
RCA 3.png
RCA 4.png

symatic

Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:41 am

daymn that looks awesome!

Angus McCarthy

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:31 am

Exciting things happening! I am really intrigued by the magnet upgrade.

opcode66

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:13 am

OPCODE 66 Suspension Box V1

Nearly Complete!!!!

opcode66

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:51 am

Presto Spring Clones

Oringinally, clones were produces by a commercial spring maker. They were too small diameter and would compact too easily. Which meant too much low end. They were also made from some really cheap music wire. And the ends were rough cut. They weren't rounded I requested. They also weren't cheap so it sucks that they are unusable. But, it forced me to sort it out myself.

I sourced correct gauge music wire and spent some money on it. I sorted out how to make the bends which took some noodling around. I figured out how to round the ends nicely. These are ready for prime time. Looking pretty nice if I say so myself. And I do.

handcut

Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:39 am

A bit late now and slightly off-topic maybe, but regarding piano wire - if there's a music school near you, make friends with the piano tuner. They will be able to get their hands on a ton of the stuff and are usually happy to off-load it for free. Used piano wire is a lot stiffer than new. I play sitar and the mizrab (plucking device) you wear to play sitar is made from used piano wire. Has to be used or the tone suffers. If this piece of random trivia is useful to you, I'll be amazed, but hey-ho...

Sweet work by the way.