Found X-26 Astatic Cutter Schematics & Possible Rebuild

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

HardlyHumanFX

Found X-26 Astatic Cutter Schematics & Possible Rebuild

Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:48 pm

Hey Guys,

I found the original installation instructions and info on the x-26 astatic cutter head that uses salt crystal piezo. PDF files attached.

I also found an old, unmanaged website that details how to replace the salt crystal with a modern piezo element. I've never done it but the site claims it works well. Just food for thought. I'm afraid the site will not be up forever so I copied its contents. The original link is: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/radiosean/tv/Cartridge-rebuild.htm

I recently sent my cutter cartridge to West Tech Services in Kent, OH.

Jason
cutter1.PNG
cutter2.PNG
Image1[1].jpg
Image2[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

emorritt

Re: Found X-26 Astatic Cutter Schematics & Possible Rebuild

Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:26 am

The instructions are for rebuilding a crystal pickup, not a cutter. A crystal cutter is very different than a pickup. I've searched for years to find information on rebuilding a crystal cutter with no results. And if you open a dead one, all you'll find is white powder and some components that without seeing the real thing don't make much sense as to the operation. Piezo elements are designed to generate voltage when struck, twisted or otherwise stimulated, or to generate movement when power is applied. How the element is designed determines if the unit bends, twists or produces other movement. Check out www(dot)piezo(dot)com