Soundscriber Disassembly

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

jjwharris

Soundscriber Disassembly

Thu May 10, 2018 5:52 pm

Hey all, I purchased a Soundscriber to have a look at how it all works and to see if I could get it working.

Arrived DOA - playback head coupling is snapped, motor was missing a mount, turntable seized, insulation on all the wiring was crumbling.

I've now taken it to pieces to try and get an idea of some of the mechanisms, hopefully to get it back to a useable state.

It's going to be running on a 50Hz system, so I'll be getting some new gearing for it at some stage. Also thinking of replacing the overhead control with an arduino control unit so it's a bit more practical for my purposes.

I've linked to the album below, sorry some of the photos are a bit sketchy, it was late and photos were secondary at the time. Let me know if anyone wants specific shots and I'll post them.

At the moment the turntable is spinning, the embossing head is being powered from a power amp, and the head is moving, albeit very very slowly. I've been attempting embossing on polycarbonate but have yet to have any success - faint sounds and a lot of noise. I don't think I've documented the moving iron very well, but it almost looks like it's moving laterally rather than vertically.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_LQrrAgwmN-QliyfLs-8RIjDU1FdGMVG?usp=sharing
Record Lathe Embossing Supplies - http://www.supplies.johnnyelectric.co.nz/

Ritter

Re: Soundscriber Disassembly

Fri May 11, 2018 6:26 am

Nine work. Interested to see how you progress on this one, especially the 50Hz difference.