Bryan's Disc Transfer Box using Wayne Kirkwood's boards

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

EpicenterBryan

Bryan's Disc Transfer Box using Wayne Kirkwood's boards

Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:55 pm

Hey guys, long time no post.
Lots of non-record related projects have been sucking up my time, but I finally made progress on my Disc Transfer system using Wayne Kirkwood's boards. I still have all the switches to wire up and several in-out connectors to go but it's nice to make progress.

My box started off life as a DigiDesign 888/24. The outputs gave up the ghost years ago but I saved it so I could reuse the chassis sometime. Now is the time. The great thing is the power supply (+/- 15VDC and 5VDC) was OK so I re-used it as well is the AC input, and on-off switch.

Here is what the front and rear looks like on a stock 888. The thing I liked was there were so many XLR cutouts on the rear panel, and there was a cutout for a display in the front and 16 holes I could use for something else. Unfortunately, the XLR connectors on the back were PC board mounted so lots of mounting holes had to be drilled.
888.jpg
Here is what my transfer box is looking like tonight from the front. Notice I made adapters to mount one of those displays I have in my Caruso Massimo box. Also notice most of the switches mount in existing holes, and the unused ones have hole plugs installed. The knob next to the display is a rotary encoder to go through all the display functions I have programmed... so I don't have to use the touch screen. I'll do a video in the future. The knob to the right of that will be to select what signal source to route to the display.

The switches on the bottom are the standard ones to run the 4 relays on Wayne's encoder / decoder board. And one other one is to switch between RIAA and iRIAA.
IMG_5446.JPG
The back panel takes advantage of the XLR cutouts with 3D printed filler plates so I could use other connectors. Unused holes have black filler panels, and I'm using red and white fillers to help identify L and R. Ins are grouped together, and outs are grouped together. The area that was for AES/EBU will be for patch points and such if needed but notice a cool USB connector for the screen that has an XLR mounting foot print!
IMG_5447.JPG
From this top shot it's clear there is a blank copper clad PCB in there. It turned out the 888 had board stand offs that were pressed in place and I could not remove them. So I decided to use a blank PCB which is attached to the existing stand offs to provide a new surface for mounting Wayne's boards where I wanted them with new stand offs. Lots of room in there, so it worked out great.
IMG_5448.JPG
That's it for tonight... Perhaps I'll have this finished in another week or two.

Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

petermontg

Re: Bryan's Disc Transfer Box using Wayne Kirkwood's boards

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:24 pm

Nice work. Wayne's boards are very good

Best
Peter
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

handcut

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:17 am

Love it!

sameal

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:38 pm

I love upcycled projects. It's so much fun creating something new and saving the landfill.