STANTON ST150 & OTHER SUPER OEM TT FOR CUTTING WITH EXAMPLES

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Gus

STANTON ST150 & OTHER SUPER OEM TT FOR CUTTING WITH EXAMPLES

Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:23 pm

Many members on this forum asks if the Stanton ST-150 and other models who produced by the same company in china"Hanpin" is good for cutting or embossing instead the Technics sl-1200 mkii?
the sort answer is NO. These TT have a good enough torque of 4.5 kgf·cm but does not have balanced platter.Super OEM TT usually have from 0.10 to 0.15 run-out that means if you cut or embossing, on the one side of the diameter of PVC or P.C. the head will cut deeper grooves and on the other side will cut shallower grooves.
The results is surface noise and oscillation of high frequencies
Listen an embossed sound file with STANTON ST-150

Digital File
http://lathetrolls.com/download/file.php?id=4454

Embossed File on STANTON ST-150
http://lathetrolls.com/download/file.php?id=4455

Technics MK2 out of the box have 1.5 kgf·cm torque that means if the needle of cutterhead touch the pvc or polycarbonate the platter will slowdown,also another bad thing on Technics is the quartz lock who tries to keep the rotation at the correct speed, the result will be wobble tones on guitar or synths, strings, etc on your cuts The good thing on MK2 is the really well balanced platter with 0.2 run-out out of the box who not cause significantly issues on your cuts.

Just a quick and dirty sound file embossed with Technics MKII
MKII.mp3

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////SUPER OEM TT VS TECHNICS\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
TORQUE.....................................................................4.5 kg/cm......1.5 kg/cm
BALANCED PLATTER....................................................NO..................YES
RUN-OUT...................................................................0.10..................0.2
QUARTZ LOCK (DISABLE)...........................................YES..................NO
HALF SPEED MASTERING............................................YES..................NO
78 R.P.M.....................................................................YES..................NO

Q. So, who is the winner?
A. For me the winner is the STANTON BUT will you need an experienced mechanist to machining the platter from the start.

WATCH THE VIDEO

[YouTube2]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIrMbRJKam8[/YouTube2]

sound file of my modified platter coming soon

SUPER OEM TT

Stanton ST/STR8-150
American Audio HTD 4.5
Citronic PD-45/45mk2
Synq XTRM1
Akiyama Acura DJ-4000
Reloop RP6000MK5
Ominitronic DD5250
Kam DDX5000
BST PRO-PR4.5
Koolsound TDJ-04
Denon VL12
Pioneer PLX-1000

if you don't know an experienced mechanist then go with TECHNICS SP-10MKII

Gus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gus

Re: STANTON ST150 & OTHER SUPER OEM TT FOR CUTTING WITH EXAM

Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:07 pm

Thelurker

Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:55 am

I haven't seen any problems with a Technics SL1200, you just have to make sure stylus heat is correct to avoid the audio "wobble".

What about your thoughts on a Numark TTX?

Gus

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:49 am

Thelurker wrote:I haven't seen any problems with a Technics SL1200, you just have to make sure stylus heat is correct to avoid the audio "wobble".

What about your thoughts on a Numark TTX?
Hi,
I don't have any experience of cutting with diamond on pvc to Technics SL1200mk2 but if you are embossing will you need to add more weight to the cutterhead this extra weight it can work, on stress the platter of Technics.But i feel for the same reason Souri of Vinyl Recorder sell for Technics owners his presiscion platter and external high torque motor to drive the platter of Technics SL1200 MKII.
As you can see Ciuens for his ZEZ lathe uses NUMARK TTX but i don't have any cutting or embossing experience with that too.

http://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5963&p=37091&hilit=numark+ttx#p37091

Try to use the search button on this forum with the words NUMARK TTX maybe will you find comments about that by other members.

Regards!

Thelurker

Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:21 pm

Thanks for reply. I'm only familiar with diamond cutting.

SueDenim

Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:25 pm

Personally, I don't think we can class the upcoming Denon VL12 Prime in the same 'OEM' bracket as most of the other Hanpin-manufactured models.
Naturally there are many questions that will need answering when it comes to using the Denon VL12 Prime to cut or emboss, but I'm looking forward to seeing how this deck stacks up :)

Gus

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:43 pm

SueDenim wrote:Personally, I don't think we can class the upcoming Denon VL12 Prime in the same 'OEM' bracket as most of the other Hanpin-manufactured models.
Naturally there are many questions that will need answering when it comes to using the Denon VL12 Prime to cut or emboss, but I'm looking forward to seeing how this deck stacks up :)
Hi!
Denon VL12 is a Hanpin made turntable and is the first model who not writes measurements of wow & flutter in their specifications.

SueDenim

Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:52 am

Hmm... that's very odd then Gus as that is not what Denon were telling everyone at NAMM 2017!
Perhaps the Prime is a new upgraded version of the VL12?

An excerpt from the DJ Worx review:
"Denon DJ decided to buck the Hanpin trend and build their own turntable"
https://djworx.com/namm-2017-denon-dj-vl12-prime-turntable/

... and the specs (including wow & flutter) directly from the Denon product website:
http://denondj.com/vl12-prime
I especially like the reference to 'stable' torque :)

"PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS
Motor:
Drive: Quartz direct-drive
Starting Torque: 5 kgf/cm (instant); 3.4 kgf/cm (stable)

Starting Time: < 0.4 seconds
Braking System: Electronic

Platter:
Material: Aluminum die-cast
Diameter: 13.1” / 332 mm
Weight: 4.9 lbs. / 2.2 g

Tonearm:
Effective Length: 9.4” / 238 mm
Overhang: 1.0” / 25 mm
Offset Angle: 20.5°
Speeds: RPM: 33⅓, 45
Wow & Flutter: < 0.15%"

SueDenim

Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:09 am

Having looked at the specs again, the wow & flutter seems pretty high compared with the other turntables on the market.
I wonder how much we can trust how each manufacturer came by its figures!

For example, Pioneer quote a figure of less than 0.01% for their PLX-1000 which is crazy :o
"Wow and Flutter: < 0.01 % (Measured by obtaining signal from built-in frequency generator of motor assembly.)"
I can't imagine it performing to those specs when under load!