Driving a dead M-41 Head. OK///

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

45rpmdude

Driving a dead M-41 Head. OK///

Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:25 pm

2.20pm Nov.23,2016

In Regards to the M-41 Presto head, in wich way would the amp be, would it run on tubes like most of them of that 1948 era.. Or would they be made of circuitry. So if it didnt come with an amp. There could always use copper wire and magnets to make it work...Just change the way the Coil is mounted and set the copper wire on that, and add some carboard as a spacer, and add the magnet at the top,, The origional link wont work.. So need to Use holes i drilled previously.. Add a bolt, and things are looking promicing..I get sound its nice and baisy.. I like that..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grooveguy

Re: Driving a dead M-41 Head. OK///

Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:07 pm

Hey, 45rpmdude,

So you have one of these heads? And is it dead? The head was actually made by Astatic (the crystal microphone people), and used in many models of Recordio-type, General Industries machines, as well as in the Rek-O-Kut 'Challenger' lathe from the 1950s. I believe that the head had an 8- or 16-ohm coil, and if yours is dead, then probably the coil is open. Any amplifier, tube or transistor, that can drive a loudspeaker can drive this head.

I have one of these heads also, and rewound it in the 1960s to work with a solid-state amplifier I built. The head is actually pretty good, it's low mass and very simple design gives good results. Let me know if you need any help with this.