making a bearing well for turntable platter

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mratx

making a bearing well for turntable platter

Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:52 am

I came across a 16" turntable platter from I believe was an old rek o kut transcription turntable, but it has no bearing well. The spindle is 1 inch in diameter, and the well would need to be about 5" deep. Has anyone ever had to fabricate a bearing well for a turntable, and if so, how did you do it? I would assume that you'd need to have one machined out of a chunk of aluminum or something similar, but i have no idea how much difficult that might be to do (don't know the tolerances used normally on a bearing well) or how much it would cost to have one made if it was too difficult to do yourself. I'm assuming it's more difficult than just using a standard drill press to bore out a block of aluminum, along with the additional machining for mounting holes.

Thanks,

Mark

markrob

Re: making a bearing well for turntable platter

Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:43 pm

Hi,

How about this:

https://www.grainger.com/product/BUNTING-BEARINGS-Sleeve-Bearing-13T772?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/13T435_AS01?$smthumb$

Use this along with a cap at the end with a ball bearing for the shaft to ride on. That's the basic setup on a 6N.

Mark

mratx

Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:46 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to look at some Prestos to see the set-up and see if I can mimic it.

Mark

ROLANDJAYS

Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:47 pm

i have made a complete turntable , and bearing housing.
pm me and maybe i can give you some tips or make one for you .