edison prototype tinfoil phonograph 1877

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

THEVICTROLAGUY

edison prototype tinfoil phonograph 1877

Fri May 13, 2016 9:52 pm

this machine will arrive Monday for repair, this is going to the national museum in south Korea. i will be posting video of this machine as i begin the repairs, and will be doing a lot of recording on this little tinfoil phonograph. this is of course a replica of the original, but is an exact duplicate of the original kruesi prototype built in 1877, this was the very first machine in the history of the world to record and playback sound. i will be recording on aluminum foil tape rather than tinfoil and i am looking forward to working on this machine. Edison designed this machine himself and is as close to an original as i will ever get. the machine arrives on Monday and i will be uploading video as soon as i get it set up and begin the repairs. this is a very historic machine, even as a replica, it is an honor to be able to repair this tinfoil phonograph and then send it off to a museum.

the machine uses "phonettes", 2 separate and distinct styli for recording and reproducing, the short phonette on the front of the machine is the recorder, the rear is the reproducer. the machine is currently missing both styli and has not been used in years, surface rust, etc. this is a stock photo of the kruesi prototype.