Soul Sculptor

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Soulbear

Soul Sculptor

Wed May 04, 2016 4:32 pm

Hi Trolls,
I've been greatly impressed and inspired, by the efforts of Scotty, Ciuens, Bryan and all the other Amateur Trolls who have posted examples of their work here on the Forum, and by Amateur I mean this in the strictest sense of "One who engages in an art, science, study, or athletic activity as a pastime rather than as a profession" and not in any derogatoty sense. Whilst immensely creditworthy, I don't think the work of Todds "Bladerunner" quite falls into this Amateur category. Here is my first effort at making a Cutterhead. As Soul Music in all its various guises from 5Ts Doo Wop, to R&B, Motown, Northern Soul, and Funk, is my abiding passion, it seems apt to to name this attempt as the "Soul Sculptor" as Hopefully I'll be able to commit to Vinyl (Or Polycarbonate!) some of the many artists who's live performances I've surreptitious managed to Tape over the years. I'm a little bit cross for a number of reasons, the principal ones being that decrepitude and diminishing visual acuity, have meant that I have not achieved the precision and exactitude, that I once prided myself were Hallmarks of my Workmanship in the not too distant past. On the other hand, if I am being generous to myself, considering it was made over two days, in my Kitchen, and not a workshop, using an Hand Held Electric Drill as my only power tool, it ain't turned out too bad.
Soulbears Cutterhead2.jpg
Soulbears Cutterhead1.jpg
As can be seen here, I went down the "Exciter Route" rather than the "Tweeter Route" and I obtained them from here :- http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-daex25fhe-4-framed-high-efficiency-25mm-exciter-24w-4-ohm--295-224. The "Cones" linking the Exciter to the Stylus Holder are in fact Chinese sourced Mini Perfume Funnels, the wide end is glued to an Aluminium Washer to make its diameter wide enough to attach to the adhesive pad on the Exciter. The narrow end has been fitted with Carbon Fibre Tubes as a Bore Reducer, and finally inserting a 1.5mm Titanium Rod facilitates the final connecting linkage to the Stylus Holder. The Stylus Holder itself, is some "V" shaped Acrylic suitably drilled to accept the Titanium Links and Stylus, epoxied to the back of the Stylus Holder and attaching it to the rear of the Cutterhead is a 1.2mm Brass Rod "Torque Tube" (The Titanium Rod proved to be simply too stiff and inflexible!!) Total mass measured on "Digital" weighing scales proved to be :- Cones/Funnels 0.9 Grammes each + 1.3 Grammes Acrylic Stylus Holder C/W Brass Rod. Now as of yet I don't have a Lathe to test "Soul Sculptor" on, and it might not even work but it's sure been fun making it and it might just be making a Trip over the North Sea to 28199 Bremen / west-germany for Scotty if he's willing, to do the Diagnostics on it Te He. Thanks for Looking :wink: :P :D Soulbear
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Soulbear

Re: Soul Sculptor

Wed May 04, 2016 4:53 pm

Hi Trolls,
I don't want anyone to assert that I'm a purveyor of inexactitude but here's a confession, I got the Torque Tube/ Stylus Holders weight wrong on the previous post oops!!! I was out by a full Gramme (Shame :roll: :oops: Sorry ) Soulbear
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sifis1983

Thu May 05, 2016 9:16 am

Hi there SoulBear,

Absolutely great design and many thanks for the info.

I did not understand exactly for what reason you choose acrylic for the "stylus holder". Does it have big mass ?
Also, I didn't understand where exactly the "titanium rod" is attached. Is it inside the cones just for easy coupling to the "stylus holder"?
These "mini perfume funnel" are perfect! These are made of plastic? As I can see from the pics, it looks like aluminium, but with a quick search on eBay, I can find only plastic.

Well, I hope you will find a lathe to test it. I 'm waiting for audio results.

Regards,
Sifis

P.S: I'm also a fan, of 60's soul and 70's funk :D

Soulbear

Thu May 05, 2016 9:55 am

Hi Sifis,
If you look very closely at the photo of the Acrylic "Stylus Holder" on the Weighing Scales, you will see 2 short pieces of Titanium Rod glued into it.
Soulbears Cutterhead Torque Tube1.jpg
One of the rods is rather difficult to see because it is being viewed "Head On" but you can clearly see the other. These short Titanium rod stubs, mated up rather well with the Cone/Funnel Outlet Tube, once I had reduced it's bore by glueing in some short sections of Carbon Fibre Tubing. I chose to use the Acrylic "V" piece for no other reasons than 1) it was the correct geometry, 2) it was much easier to set up when drilling, 3) I could see the depth of my drilling through the material, 4) it is very easy to shape and cut/file, 5) it is not too heavy for its overall size, 6) it was dirt cheap!!. It was actually cut from the end of a re-purposed "Cigarette Hand Rolling Machine" (I gave up nicotine after hospilisation last year, 14 months and counting, my longest abstinence for over 50 years!!) I hope "Soul Sculptor" works well, once I get to testing it. It was challenging but fun to make it :wink: :P :D Soulbear

Soulbear

Thu May 05, 2016 11:56 am

Hi Sifis,
I just re-read your comment, the Cones/Funnels are actually really thin, yet strong Aluminium and if you decide to have a go at making something similar yourself, they can be found here :-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111823148313?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Oh by the way, here's another view of the Cutterhead, the Exciter "Body" is slightly let into the 3"x3" Aluminium Angle, and additionally mounted on 6mm x 3mm Male/Female Brass P.C.B. Stand-Offs. The Stand-Offs have been filed flush to the Aluminium where they protruded through the Angle, and that's about the full Lowdown.
Soulbears Cutterhead3.jpg
The Exciter mounting Holes are 3mm diameter but I had to open them up to 3.2mm (A whole 8.784 Thousandths of an inch) due to marking out/drilling errors!! My Bad Eyesight!! :wink: :P :D Soulbear

Snug Music

Fri May 06, 2016 1:57 pm

hey Bear,..

that great work u made!!!!! ;) TOP! 8)

best regards

Scotty 8) :wink:
I'm still not a professional, but I learn pretty fast. especially with my eyes and ears!

Soulbear

Fri May 06, 2016 2:26 pm

Hi Scotty,
Thank you for kind words, I must say that in no small way, I was inspired by yours, Bryans, and other Trolls efforts. I must confess I was trying to do something that I dont think anyones tried before, by using this type of Exciter, though I may be proved wrong in this assumption. At least I haven't found any on my trawl through the posts here on the Forum, nor could I find any examples on the YTube. I hope you like my novel solution of Transfering the Exciter's motion into the Stylus Holder with the Ultra Lightweight Funnels :D :D Te He!. I've just this afternoon bent, shaped, and mounted a 5mm Vacuum Pipe which completed the build phase. I followed this up and I did my usual trick where I stuck in a Dummy Stylus and played some Soulful Music through my Gas Fire Chassis Te He. It was very un-scientific but it sounded Crystal Clear Sadly I dont have a Lathe yet, but I'm really keen to find out whether this is a Design capable of producing good results. I could really do with the help of some other Troll to Test it for me Scotty (Hint Hint Te He!!)
Best Regards :wink: :P :D Soulbear

Ciuens

Fri May 06, 2016 6:29 pm

Great Job man!

emidisc

Sat May 07, 2016 8:23 am

Soulbear
Right On !
Keep the Faith !
:D
Emidisc

Soulbear

Sat May 07, 2016 10:21 am

Hi Emidisc,
Er well yes, I sorta been Keeping the Faith ever since I went to this Gig in my Hometown many moons ago. The Beatles and Stones and many others appeared at the same venue, but none and I mean NONE, captured my attention quite like these performers. My Advice is "STAY AWAY FROM SOUL SINGERS, SOUL MUSIC RECORDS, and SOUL GIGS, THEY'RE MORE ADDICTIVE THAN ANY OTHER KNOWN THING!!!" Otis Redding was a No-Show, but Messrs Penniman and Cooke have a lot to answer for!!Te He :wink: :P :D Soulbear
Sam Cooke.jpg

sakuszi

Tue May 10, 2016 2:49 am

great job! :D

Soulbear

Tue May 10, 2016 5:59 am

Thanks Ciuens & Saku for your kind comments,
I have only done a "Rough and Ready" check on Soul Sculptor so far, in that I fitted a "Dummy Stylus" and pressed it up against the Chassis of my Gas Fire. Totally un-scientific I know, but believe it or not the music I was playing came through Loud and Clear Te He :D :D . I'm pleased with the "Look" and I think Aesthetically, Soul Sculptor looks quite Purposeful if I say so myself. I'm particularly pleased that the Funnel "Cones" fit like a Glove, I only used these initially because I was dis-satisfied with the results of my own "Cone Making" attempts, down primarily to age-related loss of dexterity. I've looked very hard to see if anyone else has used this type of Exciter before, and so far I've drawn a blank. It follows then that, though as yet, the perfomance of these Exciters in this Application is an Unknown, if they perform well, they may offer an Great Alternative and Inexpensive way forward for DIY Cutterhead builders. It would be great if someone could copy this design utilising this Exciter, and then post Test Results, the lack of a Lathe of my own, means that I am unable for the time being, to test it myself. The Exciters themselves cost less than $7 (Slightly more with Delivery and Importation Charges to here in the U.K.) and so it shouldn't break the Bank, even with the costs of some Aluminium and the other few bits and pieces eh? Once I've formulated a design, I'm thinking of having a go at making a Mono Cutterhead using this Exciter, I'm toying with fitting one somehow to the Acoustic Soundbox pictured, the Stylus Holder linkages are already there if you see what I mean? Instead of the Stylus moving the Diaphragm via the Pivot, the Exciter would move the Stylus, I would probably have to re-position the Stylus retaining Thumbscrew though . Here I am, thinking out loud again Te He!
Best Regards
:wink: :P :D Soulbear
Exciter 24-Watt.jpg
Antonia Soundbox.JPG

Thelurker

Tue May 10, 2016 8:36 am

Good work man, where you based? I could test it if you add a horizontal holding rod/tube and some mini XLRs for signal.

Soulbear

Tue May 10, 2016 9:43 am

Hi There Thelurker,
Thanks for the offer, another opportunity to get this Tested has arisen so I'll graciously decline your most helpful offer for now and see how this opportunity pans out. I'm actually based in the North of the United Kingdom by the way. By mounting Pin/Peg did you mean like this 10mm Diameter Silver Steel Rod set into the Apex of the Aluminium Angle of Soul Sculptor? It's difficult to see I grant you, it went through a colour change whilst I applied some Heat from a Gas Torch to Braze together the Aluminium Backplate on the Cutterhead. I never thought to shine it back up. I didn't have any of the correctly sized Aluminium Angle for the Backplate, and so I ended up making it out of 2 Pieces with what I had, then "Brazing" the 2 Halfs together with some Low-ish Melting Point "Alu-Build" Solder Type Brazing Rods like the stuff pictured. It was during this Brazing process that the colour change occurred!
Soulbears Cutterhead4.jpg
Alu-Build.JPG

mischmerz

Tue May 10, 2016 11:44 am

I am impressed and can't wait to hear the results.

m.

Soulbear

Tue May 10, 2016 11:56 am

Thanks Michaela,
Yup, me too, it did sound good on my "Rough and Ready" Test Te He!. I'll be contacting Steven/MyShank over the next week or so, and placing an order for a Stylus, so I really do hope it performs well!

Snug Music

Tue May 10, 2016 1:41 pm

Soulbear wrote:Hi Scotty,...
.I could really do with the help of some other Troll to Test it for me Scotty (Hint Hint Te He!!)
Best Regards :wink: :P :D Soulbear

hey bear, ..great job man!!! ;)
we will see. at the moment I have a few things on the piece of paper.
Currently a lot to do.
I want to see where I can create something space.

Best regards

oh and one more thing!
I am currently in the planning of new hubcaps cutting-head. :)
This has a new name.
My Lathe is now: NeoCL-v.4 and still current head NeoCH v2
The new head: 1) - NeoCH-850-DC (= Dynamic) & 2) - NeoCH-850-FB (= feedback)
But as I said, everything just in planning and development (as always pure fun of crafting!) Hehee ... :mrgreen:

best regards

I'm still not a professional, but I learn pretty fast. especially with my eyes and ears!

Soulbear

Tue May 10, 2016 3:55 pm

Hey Scotty,
These new developments sound really interesting, I can't wait to see how they turn out. Dies ist eine gute Nachricht , mein Freund , müssen Sie uns geben regelmäßig Updates Ihrer Entwicklungen
Freundliche Grüße :wink: :P :D Soulbear

Snug Music

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:17 am

hi mein Freund!!!
... after my accident, I am finally back! What's in my state of affairs? Current status: Our Lathe has improved a lot! Variable groove pitch (width and depth!), Feed Crew = sensorcontroled (position). Grounded brushes as a comb (these are operated via the platter!) Thus prevent complete a Static Charge.(Static charge = 0% !!!) Cutting head is completely earthed !!! Cutting head is not a feedback head !!! Analog Endmastering !!! Thats it! The result we achieved with this is absolutely brilliant! + 12dB, total noise free, brilliant treble, crisp bass. We are more than satisfied !!!!!!

best reguards Scotty

i will be back... 8) :mrgreen:

Snug Music

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:22 am

testcuts in wav 96khz following in few days...;)

Scotty