Sillitoe Lathes

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Bahndahn

Re: Sillitoe Lathes

Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:02 pm

Sillitoe wrote:Bahndahn, the hardware is over-engineered for the application.
That's what I like to hear!! I am very stoked for you, James!! Thank you for keeping us updated along the way :)

Cheers!

Sillitoe

Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:51 am

Cheers Bahndahn!

Here's a couple of cuts from the 9th Smokestack Lightning head.
A new AT-100E cartridge has cured the hot right playback channel.

I can probably improve these diy builds a little more with the limited tools I currently have available, but I think it's time to get precision parts made to see what I can really get out of the design.

Cut 1.
Myshank 7 inch at 33.3rpm 1kHz 7cm/sec panned to show channel separation...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3gu3oopihig5kk/9th%20head%20cut.aif?dl=0

Cut 2.
Please excuse the surface noise as this was cut on an old discarded Myshank 12", cut starts around the 10" diameter.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0heqqu4mlh60a1/9th%20Smokestack%20Beyond.aif?dl=0

This lathe is going really well and is a pleasure to use. :D

Updates and vids coming asap!

Cheers
James

Ciuens

Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:59 pm

Hey James, very good. :D
Again, congratulations my friend.

Ciuens

SueDenim

Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:02 pm

Great work James - fantastic sound from your head!
Can't wait for the vids... :)

Flexinoodle

Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:41 am

I really hope this makes it to market and remains available, I have to save up for a good while to be able to order, and after having a few emails back and forth with Sourri, i basically thought there was nothing else available, until i found this thread, that guy is one serious serious asshole, he really needs to grow up, he stopped corresponding with me because i asked if a cutter in Russia was using his cutter, who had been doing the Zare record releases because they were really good to use for scratch DJs. (and no, Germans are not generally like that, I have a lot of german mates, he is just a total asshole)

Sillitoe

Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:54 am

Hi Flexinoodle,

Cheers, these will definitely be hitting the market asap.
I really appreciate your interest and am currently working out a few last things to ensure that they'll remain available with great functionality and support.

Thanks very much SueDenim!!!

Cheers
James

Bahndahn

Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:43 am

Flexinoodle wrote:after having a few emails back and forth with Sourri, i basically thought there was nothing else available, until i found this thread, that guy is one serious serious asshole, he really needs to grow up, he stopped corresponding with me because i asked if a cutter in Russia was using his cutter, who had been doing the Zare record releases because they were really good to use for scratch DJs. (and no, Germans are not generally like that, I have a lot of german mates, he is just a total asshole)
LOL

It's often too late to say sorry to Souri, isn't it! Without a doubt, he has shafted many innocent persons including myself.

Surprisingly, there are very few options available for those looking to purchase a contemporary record cutting lathe. Souri's product will always be attractive due to its price point, which of course must be taken with a grain of salt considering you have to get yourself to his shop to pick it up, receive training, and whatever other initiative activities Souri might have planned.

It will be interesting to learn what Sillitoe's lathe overhead will cost. It's not terribly difficult to estimate the cost of the materials, pre-made components, machining, finishing, assembly, design and documentation time, etc. of the product, but the nature of the unpopulated niche market gives the entrepreneur a great deal of headroom to freely choose their profit margin. In this light, the market indeed shines excitingly, but when the demand figures get factored in such a pursuit is clearly a labour of love... [Unless one plays the way Souri has, demanding full dependance from his clients for blanks, styli, ancillary systems, and all but pleasantry.]

Sillitoe

Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:39 am

Hi guys,
In Souris defence- he also has lots of clients who love him and are loyal (and not just because of the threat of being cut off etc).

You can't please everyone and some dreamers waste your time or just want to big note themselves with how much "knowledge" they have... (It happens in all luxury sectors).

I can imagine that it would soon become tiresome if someone breaks 5 diamonds and tells you "they just broke" and then demands money back or similar.

It is important not to take things personally, no doubt he has been burnt himself.
There has been more than enough written about Souri on this board.
Anyone can very easily find info here about him and make up their own mind.
They will be able to do the same with me, as it should be.

Some also like to undermine the success of others (we call it "tall poppy syndrome" over here :wink: )

My system is different to the T560, but I understand why the comparison is made.

The market will decide for itself.

Please don't start another Souri bashing thread here... This is the experimenters and innovators forum. Sometimes it seems like it should be called the Beggars and Bitches forum :lol:

I'm finishing revisions at the moment, pricing and availability will be announced in due course.

Thanks again for your interest and patience.
James

Bahndahn

Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:44 pm

Sillitoe wrote:My system is different to the T560, but I understand why the comparison is made.
Perhaps the two systems are comparable as they are the only two lathe overhead systems on the market. Beyond that, there isn't much to compare!

Sillitoe's system is quite a large step closer to a professional-style lathe overhead. The various adjustments and so on make it far more compatible with a wide range of cutterheads and turntables. The suspension system is far more advanced as well.

Maybe someday we could expect to see options like a precision turntable plate and motor upgrade for the under-equipped. This would be helpful to many.

To make another far-fetched comparison we could look at the Flokason AM44, which may look a little more like a full professional system. Not a great comparison, but possible due to the fact that it is available.

I can't help but look at the way many lathe systems are made and consider whether or not the thermal expansion coefficients of aluminium should be factored into the engineering process. Does anyone have any comments on this? All I am considering is that aluminium is grossly dimensionally unstable [in high-precision applications] across minute temperature ranges, where things like heat lamps may produce dimensional variations of considerable concern when looking at groove geometry/tolerances. That being said, platters on professional mastering machines have traditionally been aluminium, but perhaps more suitable materials were simply out of reach for the manufacturers. Would it be worth the trouble to strive for a granite platter?
Sillitoe wrote: Sometimes it seems like it should be called the Beggars and Bitches forum

No kidding!! Come to think of it, there could be many alternative names, might I suggest Makers and Marketers? :wink:

Sillitoe

Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:16 pm

Bahndahn,

There are many variables to consider in building a nice lathe... A price no object affair may employ all matter of granite, marble, rhodium, unobtainium ad infinitum. :lol:

Vacuum platter (alloy :twisted: ) is designed and awaiting prototype machining.
Direct drive motor has been sourced.
(New 1200 looks nice too :wink: )

Carry on with your speculation maker Bennet, don't forget the automation etc!
We here at Sillitoelabouroflovecorp greatly appreciate your interest and time taken to engage in the buzz* of this new and exciting product! It's difficult to get quality user feedback** when I'm the only person who has used one so far!

Cheers
(marketing expert) James :D

*lathe does not buzz
** lathe does not (as yet) use holy grail feedback circuit.

Bahndahn

Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:04 pm

I apologize if my previous post was received as a speculative, I'm only intending to participate in conversation and hopefully have some of my pondering answered by those who feel inclined to do so. I get the impression that this is safe place to ask questions and think out loud, but I'm learning that I should be careful of where I ask these questions!

I'm a great fan of your work, don't get me wrong! I also understand there is a fit, form, and function for all design elements that must satisfy a wide range of factors, financial being central.

So again, please pardon the trouble– I best take my idealist brainstorming somewhere more fitting so it doesn't give off the wrong impression.

Sillitoe

Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:11 pm

No trouble here mate, all in good humour!

Thanks again
James

Flexinoodle

Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:42 pm

Im just hoping i can save up enough to buy one within my life time hahaha

Sillitoe

Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:26 am

New lathe cutting locked grooves here.

https://instagram.com/p/BJfp8F0B-FM/

Simply opened the ableton session that I had saved for locked grooves with the old lathe, loaded the eq presets for the Smokestack Lightning head, initialised USB communication with the lathe console, tweaked the head drop/lift timing and away it went!

Save session as a template for identical cuts in the future!

Full vids, specs and pricing when revisions and new heads arrive! :D

Cheers
James

Flexinoodle

Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:13 pm

Not looking forward to hearing the price, already eyeing up what else i can sell out of my studio and how much i can afford to put aside out of my wages hahaha

Flexinoodle

Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:16 pm

Oof, just checked out the price of the Flokason Am44, i'm starting to think this will be well out of my ability to save up for hahaha, bubble bust lol

Bahndahn

Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:21 am

Sillitoe wrote:New lathe cutting locked grooves here.

https://instagram.com/p/BJfp8F0B-FM/

Simply opened the ableton session that I had saved for locked grooves with the old lathe, loaded the eq presets for the Smokestack Lightning head, initialised USB communication with the lathe console, tweaked the head drop/lift timing and away it went!

Save session as a template for identical cuts in the future!
Awesome!!!

Depending how much time you have for 'extra' projects, it could be really cool for you to take the patch you have developed in Max/MSP and package it up into a standalone application that you could include with your lathes!

As you may know, Max/MSP patches can be compiled into standalone applications that don't require the Max/MSP host. They have to be built in the Max/MSP environment but migrating from M4L would be mostly copy/paste. It could be fun to have a full-blown custom lathe control interface that doesn't rely on another software platform. Playback engines, LPI control, and even as far as 'groove graphics' would be all within reach, the latter especially possible within the Gitter framework.

A few years ago I experimented with this a little in making some custom DJ software 8)
Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 2.15.23 AM.png
Drop me a line if you want the source code! Some fun stuff in there with the playback engines, loopers, and auto-scrolling zoomable waveform viewers with BPM grids. Probably illegibly confusing, sparsely commented patching inside but perhaps understandable or useful in some way.

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bahndahn

Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:22 am

Jitter*

Sillitoe

Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:55 am

Nice Bahndahn!

Thanks for the offer! It's definitely on my list of things to do.

I've designed the system to run in manual mode, switchable to fully digital control which means that future software updates (and completely new software control environments) can be emailed to users without the need for any hardware retrofitting.

At the moment the digital control from Ableton running M4L is very nice.
A completely standalone system is a dream and may indeed become a reality in the near future but has added costs and complexities including convertors etc...

I've been thinking of a high end system for swarf playback! Imagine that!!!
I need to choose my rabbit holes carefully. :lol:

Cheers
James

Gridlock

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:50 am

SWARF PLAYBACK!!! See: wire recorder! Wow....
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8