YADLB - Yet Another Desktop Lathe Build

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

electronrancher

YADLB - Yet Another Desktop Lathe Build

Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:35 pm

Ok, I've got the frame structure finished so I'd like to post some pics and get feedback (hopefully not the screeching kind, lol!). This "1200-powered" desktop jig is built from laser-cut acrylic and uses 5/16 allthread as the spine. Carriage rides on LM8UU bearings on 8mm linear rod.

I was originally going to go Presto style, but the worm gear and designing a wiggle-free vertical axis was making my brain hurt. Then, I saw Ciuens' 3D printed lathe (http://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3027&p=31621#p31615) and the full overhead span looked like a really great way to go. Thanks Cieuens! I planned on using a 16-microstep stepper to drive the leadscrew, but Cuiens warned me of vibration issues with that plan. I am currently waiting for some geared down DC motors to arrive to run the leadscrew. And plus, I need to build up a PCB for the DC motor driver anyway.

I am using the "other" Dayton exciter http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/loudspeaker-components/loudspeaker-drivers-by-series/exciters/daex25shf-4-steered-high-flux-25mm-exciter-20w.html, mainly because it has mounting tabs. Linkages will be thin aluminum rod, with a hacked aluminum hex standoff as stylus holder.

I am currently scratching my head over suspension of the cutterhead - these drivers are HEAVY, and my counterbalance is quite touchy from the imbalance in pivot lengths. Maybe a spring? Spring and dashpot? I'm interested in any thoughts on that.

Side View - The two side panels are mirror images, so the lid holder cutout serves double duty to help the user level and align the deck. The small back panels help square everything up to the deck.
100_2401.JPG
Carriage - Rides on 4 LM8UU's in a multi-rib box. Tab/slot keeps things square, then the seams are bonded with weldon. Awful stuff, but gives an incredible bond. Feedscrew will run down the center.
100_2402.JPG
It doesn't look like it here, but centerline of stylus travels perpendicular to the center of the record
100_2404.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ROLANDJAYS

Re: YADLB - Yet Another Desktop Lathe Build

Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:15 pm

I don't like the acrylic, but then I do like the acrylic.... ya know

Ciuens

Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:13 am

Very good. Its design is very similar to mine. My system was printed in 3D. Acrylic is visually beautiful, but I find it very fragile. I made some upgrades, and soon I will post the results. Good job.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ciuens

Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:34 am

I'm using this small stepper motor, it is small, but with enough torque to move my whole system.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Board-ULN2003-5-Line-4-Phase-5V-Stepper-Motor-28BYJ-48-With-Drive-Test-Module-Best/32265285152.html

The control is done by an Arduino Uno and a small software designed in Labview.

Initially I had problems with this kind of counterweight. My head weighs nearly 500g, now use a spring system.

My last test recording. Need to buy a diamond stylus to cut polycarbonate. :D
https://vimeo.com/125253506

electronrancher

Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:30 am

Yes! Our lathes are at least cousins, if not brothers. The overhead span is a nice sturdy design, thank you again for posting your work.

I'm interested in collaborating if you are.. I don't have labview, but I have an arduino here, it would be no problem for me to set mine up to use a stepper - then we could share code. With an op-amp envelope detect it might be possible for the arduino to do a simple type of variable groove pitch. And at very least the leadin/leadout stuff.

What thread pitch is your leadscrew?

Ciuens

Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:49 pm

The stepper motor is connected to the larger gear to reduce the force applied to the leadscrew. This gear system also eliminates any incident vibration in the cutter head. 8)
My Little labview program does all the necessary speed control, lead in / lead out and play/stop.

electronrancher

Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:43 pm

Looking forward to hearing about your upgrades! I'm waiting for some DC motors, but actually this project may go on the back burner for a while - I'm getting a presto!

I will learn on that, and plus - it will give me a reference to what kind of performance I SHOULD be getting. Then I will be able to better evaluate thew build of this guy.

EpicenterBryan

Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:22 pm

Ciuens wrote:My last test recording....
Hey Ciuens,
Did you ever do any testing with those drivers before going with your printed spring / pushrods? Did you cut the existing 4 point spring and attach your assembly, or is it still in there with your plastic parts attached to it?

Bryan

Ciuens

Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:15 am

Hello Bryan,
I did several tests with several different configurations. using the transducer with metal springs had much resonance in the range of 500Hz / 700Hz. Decided to employ printed in 3D, and the resonance was for the range of 1khz. The level of high frequencies increased by 20% and have more control over equalization. The following image of the two options, note that the fully printed in 3d has a coil made by hand, was not perfect as the Todd, but it worked perfectly. :D