Deep Grooves Mastering - Project Bladerunner

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

Re: Deep Grooves Mastering - Project Bladerunner

Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:59 am

Tonight I learned that hanging a mono cutterhead from a Neumann suspension with the purpose of embossing is not a fantastic idea. It is impossible to get trackable grooves without adding some weight. Lesson learned. Tomorrow is another day.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

opcode66

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:52 pm

More updates either today or tomorrow. Stay tuned.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

Ben

Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:20 pm

Hey Todd,

Wow great Job !!! I stopped being notify about this thread which I don't understand why.....but wow, it really feels that you keep innovating...that's priceless for all of us.

Having a VR with the precision motor I'm wondering, you said in a earlier post that you will make a bracket to fit the VR. Let's say that I have Souri's dynamic head and would love to have your feedback one, what exactly would I need to buy from you?

I can cut vinyl that sounds great.... but I must say that all this technical talk sometimes get me lost a little bit .... but it's so interesting tho. Sometimes your having an exchange with Mark (Markrob) and i'm like.... wow... I don't know nothing except when it sounds good or not...lololol

Thanks for your hard work, I'm sure you're super excited and trust me....we are too!!
Ben

opcode66

Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:35 pm

You would need a cutterhead, bracket, wiring and a rack unit for feedback.

sakuszi

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:01 am

opcode66 wrote:I've resolved my issues with some parts resonating and causing audible distortions. This was the final bench test before filming of Part 2 on the VMS70. Are you ready to see Part 2 yet???? Get excited... :D
Hello, how do you implement signal delay preview to the delay
give a signal to the cutting head, I can not understand. In the movies you tube video in a tape recorder in which the two read heads, one head of the first signal after amplification is fed to the feed motor head, the other from the delay is fed to the cutting head?
Can be done in an electronic version, for example: a computer 1 signal is fed to the appropriate device 2, device 2 has 2 outputs, one signal is sent to the feed motor head [after of descent correction], the second output to the cutting head with delayed appropriate. What do you call such a device? I intend to increase the amount of information on a disc, extended recording time. I would not use the tape [tape recorder worsens bandwidth]. How does it accomplish? You have any idea?

opcode66

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:36 am

Digitally there are only two ways I know of. I use ProTools and Have an audio interface with 8 Analog Outputs (RME Fireface). I import music into one track called Preview. I then drag copy the audio into a secondary track called Program. I shift the audio forward in program the appropriate amount for 3/4 revolution at whatever speed I'm cutting (1.1 seconds at 33 and .840 seconds at 45 as specified in the Neumann documentation since I have a VMS70). The audio in Preview track goes to my pitch computer first. The audio in Program goes to the amp rack and cutterhead. The cutterhead gets a delayed copy. The only odd part is that you have to duplicate the settings for any processing to both tracks program and preview. Otherwise, this works very well and is the cheapest solution.

The cleanest implementation I've seen is to stream AES digital audio signal from your DAW and use a custom made AES line delay that can be made yourself or purchased from someone. You simply program the device to implement particular delays for the various RPM's and make a switch. The AES ouptus a copy of the input and a delayed copy. You can then point those two streams at D/A converters and supply the pitch computer real time and the cutterhead via the delayed stream. Of course this is not cheap at all. AES delay and AES D/A converters will cost you a lot.

Why are you reposting my old video? This video has nothing to do with your question... And the video is super old.... And, my cutterhead has now feedback with a real closed loop.

sakuszi

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:21 am

He referred to this film, because it is written on it preview, I thought this is it delay the audio stream.
I made a little diagram of the pitch, whether you think it should work properly? Do scheme is correct?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

opcode66

Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:48 am

Preview meaning showing you the cutterhead working before performing test cut. This entire thread is regarding my cutterhead project.

It might be a good idea for you to start your own thread and post this diagram there. That way, myself and others can post on your thread. It isn't good form to write comments in a thread that are not relevant to the that thread. Good luck with your development.

opcode66

Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:06 am

What have I been up to? A lot. Bladerunner metal part fabrication. Master lacquer work. A new contract to do PIC development for audio devices. And, last but not least... I can now repair Presto 1D Cutterheads. Work includes Recoiling, Rewiring, Cleaning, Calibration and cloning of parts. I am close to having case screws worked out for the 1D. The one in the video is the first I tried making and is horrible. I'm making nice ones now. Stylus screws are next. I can also make new dampers. If you have a mono coil based cutterhead that needs repairing, please contact me! Very reasonable rates. Quick turnaround time. And, I won't disappear with your cutterhead or hold onto it for 6 months only to tell you it can't be repaired. You'll be told when it arrives, what needs to be done on it, when each step is completed, and when it ships back to you. Please have a look at this video detailing my work.

opcode66

Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:44 am

Oh yeah... This too... I did this too... This week I have to cut 6 dubs for 6 lucky winners. After that, I will be focused on spring steel slicing. Likely will be making a die and getting a press so I can stamp them out. Attempting to mill them on the CNC has been less than successful.

Yet another cutterhead repaired. Mostly. I need to make a new damper for this one. The one it came with is finished.

opcode66

Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:42 am

More about mono cutterhead repairs soon. I just completed 6 repairs. I can now clone screws, make dampers, upgrade a Presto 1C to a 1D, recoil, rewire, clean and calibrate any mono cutterhead. I'll be machining bobbins in Nylon soon. For now I've been making them in Aluminum. Here is a video showing how I machine the bobbins. You can see I'm now fairly skilled at using the metal lathe. I'm close to having torque tubes completed. Once finished, that only leaves my springs to sort out. Going to try a new approach with those over the weekend.

Otherwise, I've had some mastering work as well as a new contract that I've started. So, it seems like there are no Bladerunner updates. But, rest assured, I'm working diligently on the metal parts one step at a time.

The diversion with the mono heads was good for a number of reasons. First, I've got some new ideas from working in those mono heads. Things I can translate to my own transducer design. Second, this is important work and someone needs to sort it out reliably. Last I checked Gib is really the only one left. I can turn start and finish a cutterhead in a single day. I now have a cache of Presto coils prepared waiting for incoming repairs. More details soon.

sakuszi

Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:52 am

:shock: Holy! This is great ! Tomorrow I'll buy a lathe for metal! :shock:

opcode66

Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:37 am

The bobbins for Bladerunner are imressive in comparison.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sakuszi

Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:31 am

Hello, do you have any recordings of these heads presto? I asked , because eBay is the German head R5 for $ 300, but damaged, burned, it must be wound 8 OHM, can you do it? :?

opcode66

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:42 pm

Yes, I can rewind a grampian. I don't have any recordings. I can only emboss at the moment. I dont have a presto sapphire stylus. I will get one soon for testing. Embossing doesn't sound as impressive as cutting. I don't want to post something that people will misinterpret. When i can cut lacquers mono then I will post.

sakuszi

Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:40 am

well, so, whether the heads of moving metal better record than the speakers?

opcode66

Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:52 am

I don't base my work on speakers. I have no experience with using speakers. I have always made my own transducers. I roll my own coils with flattened enameled wire. I make my own springs and housings.

I have been doing repair work because right now there is no one else who is reliably and expediently providing this service. Someone has to step up. And, I wanted to see how some things were done in the old heads. I have some new ideas now for my own transducers.

sakuszi

Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:59 am

your works are wonderful, won a lot of knowledge and science

opcode66

Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:32 am

A number of folks here would disagree with you. This is refreshing. Thanks.

recordboy

Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:33 am

8) rockin' !!!
Cheers,
recordboy