Transparency Flexi Sheets

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Cubed

Transparency Flexi Sheets

Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:41 pm

So here's my attempt after I runined my good stylus after it slamed on to a lacquer after I was cutting, it was coming out great and I got too excited to play it back. The cut was great till where the head droped.

I started to emboss the sheets and found out that the sheet must be perfectly flat with no "hills" or bumps. While embossing, the new emobossing needle makes a loud screech sound and at times it was dead quiet. I haven't waxed the disc so I think the issue might be that and I made sure I put the sylus perfectly backwards. Also the the groove disapears sometimes. Any advice would be helpful!

In the pics it shows my blank I freshly cut using a compass cutter and the other it is my third attempt of embossing. All of them has been with no audio, I'm just trying to get a quiet groove going for now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tragwag

Re: Transparency Flexi Sheets

Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:17 pm

I'm thinking you need more depth if the needle is lifting off the blank at all.
More weight on the head will accomplish this.
The trick is finding a depth that tracks well, and has minimal noise.
Keep experimenting!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Jccc

Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:28 pm

i would recommend sending a signal into the cutting head when practicing the cuts on the flexi sheets that way you can get the actual depth right along with how much signal you can send into those sheets before the grooves connect or before the playback needle jumps out.

Thats just my opinon tho.

Cubed

Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:53 pm

http://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4497&sid=c43f59f907ea636b577bb96db9fc76c6
Ok I've been following that thread and a PC sheet would be best but I'm stuck with 90 sheets of these transparencies. But I'm not giving up yet.

Ok so I got on of Jerry's emobossing styllus and it was quieter on the sheets then a reverse saphire. Only thing though is that the grooves are shallower then the sapphire. I tried to lube the sheet up with a bit of soap since I didn't have any turtle wax. Also I discovered that these sheets cool very very quickly so I would like to try a hair dryer to heat them as the air spreads all over. It might affect the cut but it's worth a shot at this point.

When I put a bit of weight , the sheet screaches. I think what's going on is that the plastic is not being displaced during the embossing and screaches are from the surface being torn. There was tiny, white, spider web like plastic on the stylus when it does. I'm going to try to heat it you a hair dryer as I feel these things transfer heat so quickly that there's not enough mass to retain it.

A pic of progress. Out side grooves are white where the extra weight was added. And thanks for info guys. Tragwag, thanks, the gooves look better now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cubed

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:06 am

Ok, so this this material embosses but the main issue that it's too shallow to track. If you put weight to go deeper the the material just breaks up. I've tried heating it and it's a no go. I guess I can't get it hot enough or the material properties does not give to more bend of the surface.

I'm about to call quits on the transparency sheets but I was thinking to try that lighter fluid trick to see if it does something. One question I want to ask is the bottle of zippo lighter fluid made of PET? If it is, I will declare defeat!

So far I'm trying cd-rs now and it's a night and day difference. Deeper grooves and it tracks well.