I got it guys

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

fraggle

I got it guys

Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:49 am

Due the pain in the arse to get black disc why not recycle?
Do you guys think it's possible to machine the grovves of a record?:)
wit some sort of lathe of course that would be awesome a blank would cost ya 50 cents every size you want too..
I have to think about it:)

opcode66

Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:20 pm

Not sure you could do that. The surface would have to be taken off and then polished. Uneven surface = background noise. Wouldn't it be easier to just have a run blank records pressed?
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

aaron

Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:25 pm

I wonder if diamond lapping film could do that... maybe chuck the disc in a drill or something and use progressively smaller micron size to sort of sand the grooves off. Might work

petermontg

Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:42 am

opcode66 wrote:Not sure you could do that. The surface would have to be taken off and then polished. Uneven surface = background noise. Wouldn't it be easier to just have a run blank records pressed?
anybody willing to do a blank run?
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

drdub

Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:34 am

we have tried that- but forget it, surface noise big time.
plus you are going to ruin your diamond really quick.

we hab a 100 batch 12 inches 180g made 3 years ago - waste of money and time.

cheers
mex
satan spins vinyl

*** www.drdub.com ***

petermontg

Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:57 am

drdub wrote:we have tried that- but forget it, surface noise big time.

cheers
mex
thats not good. cheers for the heads up.
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271

opcode66

Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:38 am

drdub wrote:we have tried that- but forget it, surface noise big time.

cheers
mex
That sucks. Thanks for sharing the info!
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

dietrich10

Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:22 pm

i still have a few dozen 180 gram blank pressed vinyl...someone buy em!
$3 a piece!
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

fraggle

Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:24 pm

@ dr dub thank you for then info.
It's so strange because i cut on a blue pressed vinyl (b sides was empty ) and it sounded good. i tried a black one and it sounded only all right wit lot's of backgroundnoise though why the hell is that?
cheers

mossboss

Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:49 am

Borris
Its quite simple mate
Black vinyl=carbon black as colouring matter filler
Coloured vinyl partcularly opaque or clear no carbon black rather a die similar in the way they make ink
So ink based colour no filler just straight natural pvc compound
Cheers
Chris

petermontg

Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:55 am

mossboss wrote:Borris
Its quite simple mate
Black vinyl=carbon black as colouring matter filler
Coloured vinyl partcularly opaque or clear no carbon black rather a die similar in the way they make ink
So ink based colour no filler just straight natural pvc compound
Cheers
so what i gather from that is you can use pvc just once its not black or am i wrong

peter
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271

mossboss

Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:17 pm

hey all
Just before Christmas we had a few of bags of PVC compound from our supplier for some trials
These where various modifications of existing formulae so as to get better sound
Amongst the 10 odd bags we had there was a couple bags of black pvc that was pigmented with an ink based die in other words no filler as in carbon black
On a simple listening test on the same record we detected an improvement on the resulting sound sufficient to be easily heard
However when we got the cost of this material we decided that at the prices that people are paying us for pressing records it is just not viable
Having said that it does not mean that it would be prohibitively expensive for cutting on
I would be happy to make some mirrors and press some up for a trial if there is enough people here to make it a break even proposition
Say at $1.00 for a 7" and at $1.80 each for a 12" we need to press around the 500 of the sevens and about 300 of the 12"s so as to justify a press run
They will be packed 50 per box on the 7" and around the 35 per box on the 12"
All will come with a white label pressed on not sticky (I hate them) inserted in an inner sleeve for protection
If people are putting they hands up it may be best that they appoint say Fraggles (dropped you in Boris is that OK?) as the coordinator as it will make it much easier all round
Not sure about what they will sound like after they are cut but I am of the view that since that batch of trials and the imrovement i got a bit excited I can get our pvc supply guys to alter various additives in a small batches so as to get some good results on pressed pvc blanks for cutting but it is my view that it is best to be subjective and start with this material first so we can guage results
Not sure if this is a good thing for us but I have seen the amount of mail coming and going about blanks for a long time now so may as well see if we can get something happenning
This is not a a oncer either we need some feedback on it so as to see if we can get a compound that does the trick if it works out for you guys cutting small batches why not but I emphasise the need for feedback so we can get it right which I think we can with the help of the lab guys at the pvc compounding joint
New years present Hey!
Cheers
Chris

opcode66

Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:33 pm

Count me in please. One box each at least.

piaptk

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:30 am

I'll take a box of each as well!
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

bongo dave

Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:53 am

ill have a box of each when there done please

petermontg

Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:56 am

box of 12" and 7"

if theres a demand for 10" will it be possible to get some?
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271

mossboss

Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:39 pm

No 10" at this stage boys as I do not have a set of dies for them The demand for 10"s died some time back and it has not reappeared
We needed a new set back than but at around the $ 5.5 K we decided to go without it and do wthout the expense for the molds at this stage
Not out of the picture but unlikely in the very short term
By the way I did suggest that we need a co-ordinator like Fraggles but he may be on hols/vacation whatever May be he is laying low as I lugged him in on this But Cymbalism may be the Guy Ha Ha
Cheers
Chris

fraggle

Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:26 pm

Hey guys
Godd morning:)
This is an awesome idea mossy!
It must be that bloddy carbon i just tried again.
I cut a blue vinyl from gz and had the same results as on polycarbonate even a little bit less backrgoundnoise on the pvc.
I'm happy to do the coordinator I would also buy 400 straight up:)
I'll send you a private message because I'm not too sure how you wanna do this Mossy.
Cheers

mossboss

Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:20 pm

Thanks Boris for putting your hand up I am busy enough as it is any way (Is this is my relaxation forum? Ha ha)
Any way if you are to open a new thread and keep track of interested people there it would be handy
May be Mike, Aussie Osborne that is, can than move the recent posts with people interested in these blanks who posted on this thread there
Now
I had a further thought since it appears that there is enough interest so far
I think it may be a proposition to do them say in lots of a bag of material each kind of different PVC that is available to us now
So how about this: We get about 300 x 7" out of a bag so any multiples of 300 we can use a bag of material
At this stage we can do the ink colored black and another transcluscent colour based on a natural PVC compound so any of the primary colors would be fine and all you guys can vote on what colour that would be!!!
That way we can send you guys out some black and some colored blanks
If there are more than 600 required we can than do another color of course so we can do a split of 3 colors So there it is as a choice
There would be some in between mottley kind of blanks on the colour change so may be a few of those as well
Some times they look fantastic and some times they look like crap but the should cut allright
Assuming that what we know so far is correct it seems that carbon black is the culprit
Boris in his last post has said that he did it again and the results seem encouraging
Ok So far so good lets see what comes out of this
Cheers
Chris

Kris D

Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:07 pm

Hi - I was reading an interview with Stan Ricker in which he talks about a process used at RTI to smooth and polish the backside of the stampers before pressing to insure a flat surface for high gram / audiofile pressing.
This seems like it might be benificial in trying to produce a cuttable blank. I was thinking that a heavier pressing might produce a more level surface (less of the I-beam profile) similar to an old shellac in profile.
I'm going to try and hunt down the Ricker interview and post a link.

Best - Kris