First Test of My DIY Record Press

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

farmersplow

Re: First Test of My DIY Record Press

Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:41 pm

Hello Mark!
It's just amazing what I see and hear here. I think it's fantastic what you have achieved here with relatively simple means. I think it is difficult enough to coat a blank record with nickel (making a son). But then also pressing the granulate into a finished record in your own press is worthy of a prize.
I wish you continued success with the perfecting and will continue to follow the treat with great interest.
You are the man!

andybee

Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:57 pm

very nice! it sounds, like you have a lot of non fills, or the stamper is very dirty. usually, 50tons pressure
is needed for pressing 7inch, 20-30 could work too, if you have enough time. but with 1-2 tons, with the hydraulic jack... mmmhh...
but hey, nicley done! respect! thumbs up

markrob

Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:38 pm

Hi,

I'm using the Emory Cook Microfusion process. The difference here is that there is no extruder or biscuit. You apply finely ground PVC across the surface of the stamper. This allows you to press at very low pressures as you don't have to force the biscuit to flow. Cook developed this process back in the late 50's and did press his own label recordings using that process. You can find pressings on eBay. He tried to get the process out into general circulation, but It never caught on most likely since the press field was very happy with the process that is in common use to this day. I saw this as a means to allow for short run DIY production. I think I have shown proof of concept, but the process would need to be further developed to be of use. See the attached patent for more info.
US3023459.pdf
Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

trailerparkjesus

Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:05 pm

Yes! Keep this alive, Mark. If you need any help I am happy to work on this with you in the capacity I can.

boryo

Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:14 pm

Has anyone seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzQwrX3rH68

I love how it looks like he is making the records in his living room. Definitely worths trying!

Bob

untitledthe

Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:43 am

Great operation indeed, so he heats pvc sheets with induction, but no cooling either he mentions? Not neccessary with 7'' cycle of 30 sec..?

eskim0

Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:08 pm

This one is awesome! Nice work! I am working on similiar stuff too..
I try to cut my pvc blanks glued on old laquers as a "master" and want to plate them like flo does in his experiment. But want to go realy slow with amperes in hope that it will not burn the silver layer. Nice to see that someone has done a cook typ of press in the workshop with easy materials! Impressive. I thought about pressing some pre made records that are already flat squeezed i have laying around, they are pressed with mirror stampers so they got no grooves on both sides. Maybe worth a try with also low pressure? I mean u dont have to bring so much force on top when its already flat. The guy from 16khz in the video uses a modded i dont know? Rubber press or similiar? Maybe he will answer if i write an email or maybe he is not in the mood to talk about the magic behind his invention hehe :D