Recommended DC motors for turntable

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mratx

Recommended DC motors for turntable

Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:56 pm

Does this group have any recommended DC motors for driving lathe turntables? I'm assuming a high torque brushless dc is the way to go, but didn't know if anyone has a specific recommendation based on experience. I know Flo had used a Premotec on his modified portable lathe, any other suggestions? I'd like to drive a fairly heavy 16 inch platter.

Thanks,

Mark

flozki

Re: Recommended DC motors for turntable

Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:00 am

hello Mark
the premotec was just laying around... not the reference.
and it only works with belt driven TT's as they dont run stable on direct.

but if you go the belt way you find cheap some bldc with electronics for 30-50$ esy
happy cutting
f.

dmills

Re: Recommended DC motors for turntable

Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:18 pm

I am playing with a Yaskawa coreless direct drive servo motor SGMCS-05B3C11 as a direct drive on a 14 inch platter, 5nm =~ 50kgcm of torque which should be fine.

One thing I did find is that the servo driver seems to chop at 6kHz, which given the very low running torque can wind up audible in the air, unsure as yet if it will show up on the disk, might need to add a sinewave filter between the drive and the motor, or build an analogue driver, we will see. One nice thing is that being coreless there is NO cogging.
Currently hoping the bearings will quiet down when it has run a few days or I might have to rethink using the motor bearings for the platter support, it is not BAD but well, given the playback curve ANY LF rumble would be bad news.

Speed range is 0 - 200RPM, and it has a fairly high count optical encoder so the speed feedback is nice and tight.

These are **expensive** new, at least most of the time, but you do sometimes get a deal on fleabay, think I paid about a hundred quid for mine (And then the same again for the cable harness, grumble I hate surplus places that cut cables).

One slightly boring detail is that the servo amp in 'internal control' mode can hit 33.3RPM but not 100/3rpm, so if I want the speed to be exact I will have to put the drive in torque mode and wrap a PLL around it. Might be easier to leave it at 33.3 and just jigger the sample rate in the digital doings to fix the minor error up there, not a big deal either way.

I will warn you off the NSK version of the same idea, their driver doesn't have speed as a first class citizen, only position, and I have never gotten it to not cog like a bastard.